SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Systemlink Node Properties

Hi,

I'm evaluating Systemlink and I have a quick question.  In the SystemLink Client (and the Systems Manager), I can see my tester nodes.  However, they show Model Name and Serial Number as Unknown.  Is it possible to set these properties somehow?  We have a very strict configuration management in place, and I'd like to used the tester part number and serial number here to identify the tester...  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,040 Views)

By default SystemLink tries to pull this information from the systems BIOS, however older and some low-cost PCs don't always program these attributes when the motherboard is being manufactured.

You can overwrite these settings on the target by adding the following attributes to the C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\salt\conf\grains text file.

productname: Model ABC
serialnumber: 123456

Then restart the target or restart the NI Salt Minion Windows service on the target.  They should automatically update on the server the next time it connects.

Message 2 of 7
(1,996 Views)

Wow, great, thanks.  Worked like a charm 🙂

Another questions arises:  Is there an additional configuration file for the PC as an asset?  This information is for the system as a whole, but in the asset manager I can also see the PC as an asset itself, with funky things like "To be filled by O.E.M.".  Can this also be overwritten?  I tried changing the values in the registry, but that didn't really do the trick...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,978 Views)

Customizing the asset for the system is a bit more involved, however there are some registry keys that can be added.  Attached is a zip file with 3 registry keys to modify the vendor, model, and serial numbers that are reported by the NI System API.  You can edit them with a standard text editor before double-clicking on them to install them to the registry.

This will change how the "system" resource/asset shows up in MAX and SystemLink.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,967 Views)

You may also need to restart the NI Minion Agent Windows service after changing the registry keys.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,966 Views)

Here is a link for some additional information.

https://github.com/joshuaprewitt/systemlink-custom-system

Message 6 of 7
(1,933 Views)

Sorry for the late reply.  Had to try it out right away.  It helped a lot...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,846 Views)