SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SystemLink Windows target software installation progress

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to follow the software installation progress in more detail? E.g. using "NationalInstruments.Tlog.exe"?

Since everything is pretty new, I would like to be able to check if something actually happens while I wait, or that it might be better to just cancel and start-over.

E.g. at this moment I am wondering if the system is actually installing something or that it is busy downloading a dependency? Is it in the road map to provide more detailed job progress details?

Thanks. 

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,551 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author andre.buurman@carya

Currently, there is no way to get additional software installation progress.  SystemLink leverages a component called Salt to request the software installation, which then calls the package manager supported by that platform (opkg for Linux RT or nipkg for Windows).  The salt call blocks until the package manager completes the operation and then returns the status in the job details which you can see if you expand the Detailed Results section under History.

It is in the roadmap to see if we can provide more progress information, but it is a complex problem.

Message 2 of 4
(2,539 Views)

Thanks, I see the difficulty.

How about accessing a package manager trace at the target machine itself?

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,532 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author andre.buurman@carya

The installation would be running as the SYSTEM user on the SystemLink client (target) so there wouldn't be a UI that you could see. If you were logged into the system as another user, you could see the the process running in the background but there wouldn't be a way to see the progress bar.  

The only thing that I can think of is to look at the logs that NIPM is generating throughout the install. These are located in "%localappdata%\National Instruments\NI Package Manager\Logs\NIPkgLogs" but since it's running as the SYSTEM user, you'll need to make sure you look in its localappdata folder which I think is in the Windows folder somewhere. 

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

Message 4 of 4
(2,509 Views)