SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up SystemLink on Azure

Are there instructions on how to set up systemlink on Microsoft Azure?  Like what azure services do I need to purchase?  Do I set it up the typical way that I would on a local server once I create a VM?  How do I license it? Etc...

Any documentation or help would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,680 Views)

Hi,

I only experimented with SystemLink on AWS.

For this I setup an AD (cheapest one up to 500 users).

I used the predefined instance for SystemLink offered in the Marketplace, but in hindsight I could've just as easily used selected a custom system.

The rest is installing SystemLink to the VM, setup DNS and configure firewall rules. (The same as would be needed for an on-premise solution)

You might want to make use of the newest feature to move the database to a separate location (additional virtual disk), so data can be managed separate from the installation disk.

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/National-Instruments-Corporation-SystemLink/B073PFF3LN

EDIT: Just noticed it can't be bought anymore.

Hope it helps a bit.  

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
Message 2 of 7
(2,607 Views)

Thanks for the response Andre.

Yeah I noticed that it couldn't be bought anymore which makes me wonder if it is still supported on AWS and/or Azure.  I prefer to go with Azure because that's what my customer already uses for most of their platforms.   

Looks like I got some trial and error ahead of me... 😉

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,492 Views)

jigg,

We'll be undertaking this same task in the next 4-6 months. I may ping you later to see how you're coming along with this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,419 Views)

I got it set up.  The only thing I couldn't do yet was get a client to connect and log data.  I think that's a port issue but I haven't had time to dig into it too much.  I was able to log into the portal remotely which was nice. 

A couple tips:

-Make sure you get a VM with enough memory.  They say 8G but you'll need more.  SystemLink kept crashing with an out of memory error and I had a VM with 8G. 

-Azure VMs don't allow chrome and they don't have edge installed.  You are stuck with IE which SystemLink doesn't support.  I did finally get firefox on there and that seemed to work the best.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,408 Views)

Make sure you open the following ports in the Azure firewall.  Note opening the ports on the Windows OS side isn't sufficient when hosted in Azure or AWS.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kKHnSAM&l=en-US

Message 6 of 7
(2,398 Views)

Did you get this figured out Jiggawax? Very interested in having this hosted in an ITAR cloud service.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,373 Views)