Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitors from OPC UA not resuming after Internet Loss

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

We have designed a SystemLink Server layout that consists of the following:
-2 PC's on the facility floor hosting an NI OPC Client that are reading variables from PLC's.
-1 PC that is hosting the SystemLink Server and OPC UA to allow us to access these OPC variables over the network. We are utilizing the OPC UA to create monitors so we can use those tags to create WebVI's for front panels.

Our issue is, when we face a disconnection of the internet (whether intentional or unintentional) the monitors will not automatically resume after the connection is repaired. The OPC UA and the systems will all connect OK, but our tags remain frozen at the last read variable. The monitors even remain in the OPC UA. 

My question is: How do we find a way around this issue? Is there a way to make sure that these tags pick up from where they left? It is a little too much to go through and re-create every single monitor at every slight issue we may have. 🙃

"I am prepared to go anywhere, provided it be forward." - David Livingstone
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,912 Views)

All,

I have spoke with an Engineer from National Instruments. This unfortunately is a bug in the system that will have to be fixed!
Until then, we will patiently wait!

Just wanted to update!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,860 Views)

For everyone's informational pleasures:

The Bug Report # for this particular issue is 950454.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,353 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMullinsEE

@CMullinsEE wrote:

How do we find a way around this issue? Is there a way to make sure that these tags pick up from where they left?

NI has identified a fix for this issue to be included in a future version. In the meantime, one possible workaround is to restart the SystemLink Service Manager. You can do this by launching the NI SystemLink Server Configuration application from the start menu, selecting NI SystemLink Service Manager on the left, then clicking the Restart button:

pspangler_0-1579275679540.png

Alternatively, if restarting all of the SystemLink services is too disruptive, you can restart only the OPC UA service using the following steps:

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Skyline in file explorer. The path may be different if you've customized where shared NI software is installed.
  2. Double-click NationalInstruments.SmConsole.exe which should open a new console window.
  3. Wait a few seconds and a >> prompt should appear in the console.
  4. Type without the quotes: "stop OpcClient" and press enter.
  5. Wait for it to say the service stopped.
  6. Type without the quotes: "start OpcClient" and press enter.
  7. Then you can close the console window.

pspangler_1-1579276018314.png

Message 4 of 7
(2,294 Views)

Awesome! Thanks for the information, I will have to test this out next time I experience this issue. I actually made somewhat of a temporary work around until the issue is completely resolved (using LV'19 to write the tags and read them in a WebVI).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,252 Views)

Your suggestion worked fantastically!

Thank you for the information, truly appreciate this.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,236 Views)

Hello,

The fix for this issue was included in the 19.6.2 patch that is now available for the SystemLink OPC UA Connector. If you have the 19.6 version of SystemLink already installed, you should see the update on the UPDATES tab of NI Package Manager, or you can install the updated version from the BROWSE PRODUCTS tab (it will still be listed as 19.6 in the version selector). Thanks for reporting the issue!

See http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/377243l.html?prodref=com-ni-package_manager-19.6#fixes for the list of fixes in each 19.6 release.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,227 Views)