cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Tags to SystemLink Server on New PC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

We are currently working on a project to migrate our current PC we are utilizing as the SystemLink Server to a new capable machine. Our concern is this:

-We have well over 300 tags we are using to build WebVI's with LabVIEW NXG (many of which are using an OPC UA connection route). Is there a sure shot way to migrate these over without having to go through all of these OPC UA connections and re-establish the tags? We do not want to have to go back and do all of our work over that we have spent hours on.

"I am prepared to go anywhere, provided it be forward." - David Livingstone
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,367 Views)

Hi CMullinsEE,

I just wanted to let you know we have seen this request and the solution will require a little bit of orchestration between our database and a few other components. We want to test this out and will reply to this thread with guidance. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,303 Views)

Hello Mark,

I wanted to check back into this topic, as we are preparing a new PC to be utilized as the new SystemLink server.
Our biggest concern is still retaining all of the tags and the link to the OPC UA references that we pull them from.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,240 Views)

Hey, 

I am going to be testing some things over the next couple of days to see if I can give you some instructions on doing this migration. Can you let me know the versions for SystemLink you are using for both the server you are migrating from and the server you are migrating to?

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,222 Views)

Hello Mark,

Firstly, thank you again for your help.

We are currently using SystemLink 20.0 and the new server will be using the same as well. Just on another (more powerful) PC, as we have exceeded the limits of our current PC and will be using a more powerful host as we expand on our programs.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,218 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMullinsEE

Hi CMullinsEE,

Firstly thank you for your patience on this issues, but I'm pleased to share some scripts that will aid in your migration efforts. Please see

systemlink-migration-sandbox

This Github repo contains two scripts. One to migrate FROM a SystemLink server and another for migrating TO a new SystemLink server.

I'm going to be adding more examples in the coming days and weeks. I'm interested in other aspects of SystemLink you would like to migrate. That said, the patterns used to perform this migration are pretty simple and could be repeated for other parts of SystemLink. I'd encourage your to fork this repo and upstream your own contributions. 

Mark
NI App Software R&D
Message 6 of 15
(4,184 Views)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the hard work on this! We truly appreciate it.

We are currently working on preparing the new station as the server and will be performing some migration 'tests' if you will in the coming weeks.
Any modifications or changes we make I will certainly keep you updated on!

Again, thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,168 Views)

Hello Mark,

We are anticipating doing some migration testing today on our new Host PC.
We hope to get back to you as soon as we do some tests with this migration!

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,073 Views)

FYI you may have noticed I've begun building out a more general purpose migration utility (systemlinkmigration.py). Please don't start using this yet as I'm still in the midst of making a lot of changes. When its ready the Readme in the repo will be updated with new instructions. The other python and PowerShell scripts in the repo continue to be a good starting point.

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,068 Views)

Mark,

Thanks for the heads up, I had noticed you have been quite busy uploading to the repo.

As for our testing:

Migrating FROM:
-Successful. No issues.
Migrating TO:
-All of our tags and history has migrated successfully.
-OPCUA Connection Certificates have migrated successfully.

What went wrong:

-OPCUA Server Connections are lost (endpoints). For testing purposes, we would like to reconnect one of these endpoints to the SystemLink server (new machine). What connection interference will we face? If none, is there a protocol preventing interference between the two servers when the OPC writes tags?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,052 Views)