SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with the NI Salt-Minion Service - SystemLink Client

I have installed NI SystemLink Client 19.6.1 on a Windows embedded system. When I try to configure the SystemLink server and click apply, it errors out after a few seconds and says 'The NI Salt-Minion Service could not be started'. I also noticed that the system does not generate a Minion ID like it normally should even before configuring a server hostname. Seems like the salt minion service was not installed correctly, any ideas on how to repair it? I have already performed a repair of NI SystemLink Client via NI Package Manager.

CAC10268_0-1590677459323.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,635 Views)

I agree that it sounds like a bad install.  In the NI Package Manager if you click on the gear icon you can show the hidden packages.  Then search for salt on the Installed tab and select the Salt Minion Service and click Repair.  This should reinstall it and hopefully resolve your issue.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 8.12.03 AM.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,586 Views)

Also was this system setup from a common Windows image that already had it installed or was this system ever previously connected to this server?

There are a few unique identifiers on each system, which can improperly get duplicated if you setup a system using an image with the client preinstalled if you don't care to prep the system correctly in advance.

In addition, if the system was previously connected to the server you can try removing it from Systems Manager first and then reset the server on the client to see if it shows up in the pending approval list.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,583 Views)

The system is from a common Windows image but does not include SystemLink Client, it was installed manually. This system was not previously added to the server.

Normally when I've set up clients, the system generates its Minion ID and populates all the local machine info in the NI SystemLink Client config dialog even before defining a server, but none of that information is populating.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,564 Views)