cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SystemLink with Data Management Software Suite 2018

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear all,

there have been warnings in older SystemLink release notes, that an existing installation of Data Management Software Suite 2017 might be damaged when installing SystemLink in addition. However, the topic "Known Issues" in the SystemLink release notes is either linked to nowhere or even disappeared for recent releases.

So the question is:

Does an installation of SystemLink 19.6 harm an existing Data Management Software Suite 2018?

Thanx in advance!

Volker

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,514 Views)

Hi Volker,

The recommendation from R&D is to leave the TDM Server 2017 or TDM Server 2018 unchanged and install the newer SystemLink TDM software on a completely different computer.  You can create backups of all the instances (Preprocessors, DataFinders, Analysis Server) from the old computer and move them to the new computer.  Once the new SystemLink TDM software has been successfully installed on the new computer, you can (re-)create all these instances on the new computer from the backup files.  Once all your client computers can successfully connect to the new server instances, then it is safe to decommission the old computer instances.

Brad Turpin

Senior Technical Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,017 Views)

Hello, Brad!

Thanx a lot for your reply, but unfortunately "new computer" is no option here, otherwise I would not have asked.

Sincerely,
Volker

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,009 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author adlevo1

Hi Volker,

If you install just SystemLink 19.6, without the SystemLink TDM module, you might be OK, but I'd still guess you're taking a risk.  If you install SystemLink TDM 19.x, if will DEFINITELY replace your TDM Server 2018.  A couple of versions ago, the TDM Server switched from side-by-side installers to replace-the-previous-version installers.

Please clarify if you mean installing SystemLink 19.6 with or without the TDM module.  If you mean without, I'll nudge R&D to ask their opinion.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,999 Views)

Hi Volker,

R&D saw my last post and said that even with a SystemLink 19.x installation that has no TDM module, other shared components will be updated, such that it is highly likely that the existing TDM Server 2018 will break.

Is there any way you could update the TDM Server 2018 to SystemLink TDM 19.6?  I had no trouble updating my TDM Server 2018 to SystemLink TDM 19.5.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,994 Views)

Hi, Brad!

Thanx again for your reply!

The statement about "switched from side-by-side to replacement" explained it best to me, since it is much clearer than the "possible damage" I had read about elsewhere.

Just for explanation: I am working at development level, not production. So, in the meanwhile I have chosen to start over with a fresh SystemLink only, sacrificing the old TDM Server completely.

Thank you again!

Volker

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,981 Views)