SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation/Removal Progress Hangs "In Progress"

Hi Guys,

I have an application I'm trying to deploy and it's giving me grief.  My suspicion is that there is something hinky going on with updating the dependencies, as it has a long list of dependencies.  I'm trying to figure out what is wrong, but without any debug or progress information I'm not sure what to look at. 

Here is the situation:

I have this tool installed on a production Win10 machine. It was installed via the old windows installer method.  It depends on DAQmx, XNET, Vision Acquisition, NI-488, NI-Serial, NI-VISA and all these are already installed as a 17.0 vintage.  I want to install the new version of the tool via systemlink.  I've created a feed, added the new tool as a package and also imported into the feed the newest versions of the above decencies (with exception of Vision Acquisition since there isn't a package of it yet, the plan is to manually install this after the systemlink install).  When I go to update the target using this feed, it just sits at the "In Progress" status.  I've let it run ~20hrs, just to make sure it wasn't a slow PC or something like that.  

Any guidance in figuring out what is going on would be helpful.  I know there is a log file in localappdata directory.  I've taken a look at it, but it's all greek to me.

Thanks,
Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,670 Views)

Hi,

I have seen that too, but 20hrs is a lot. I have seen around 5.5 hrs to install NXG 3, just due to slow server connections.

In another thread they told me that the salt system is not able to provide status updates on remote procedure calls.

You can however go to the client machine and goto the package cache folder in AppData/National Instruments/Shared/Package Manager/packages if I recall correctly (i don't have my machine at hand). There you can see which file is growing (F5) and some of them are large 1GB+, and it seem you have some large dependencies.

With Resource Monitor (opened via the Task Manager Performance tab) you can see which network connections it has, mine shows a connection to an acamai server that is very very slow. A lot of time below 80kB/s on a 500Mbit/s internet connection.

Hope it help to get some insight.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,648 Views)

You can follow that steps that Andre posted above but I would doubt it would take 20 hours so it might be hanging on something specific in the install. For troubleshooting what could be going wrong, I would first recommend turning on NI Package Manager MSI logs. After those are enabled, I would try installing the item that you were trying to install manually on the machine in question to see if we can determine where it's getting stuck. 

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,622 Views)