From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidelines for speccing a SystemLink Server PC

Solved!
Go to solution

In general terms, which is more important for SystemLink Server: Raw CPU speed or number of cores?

The system requirements (https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/377243l.html ) talks about cores but not CPU speed, so I presume that cores are more important, meaning that a 2 GHz 20-core server would likely be "better" than a 3+ GHz 4-core server from the same Xeon family -- is this a reasonable thought?

For our application, we're looking at 10 nodes with ~500 hundred tags per node. However, the server will also be running SystemLink TDM, and 40% of the tags would be updated at 5 Hz over MQTT.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,972 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKSH

We have lots of micro services that run in parallel for handling multiple tasks, so I would recommend more cores when possible.

If you are using any of our services that index large amounts of data like the TDM or Test Module, I would also recommend plenty of RAM (at least 64GB) and a very fast hard drive.

Message 2 of 2
(1,916 Views)