From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From SystemLink 17.0 to 17.5, device won't connect to server

Solved!
Go to solution

I've been slowly upgrading my devices from SystemLink 17.0 to 17.5. Every time I upgrade a cRIO, the SystemLink server tells me the device is disconnected and the only way to reconnect is to remove the target and re-add it. Is this expected? Will this be the case on future upgrades from 17.5 to whatever comes next?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,994 Views)

Hello wrkcrw00,

Can you describe what process did you follow when doing the migration? I do not consider this to be expected and we do not have any reference to the behavior. It would be great to understand the steps you followed and see what happened.

Diego

National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,951 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wrkcrw00

Unfortunately, it is the expected behavior for upgrading RT targets to 17.5 over 17.0 from MAX.  MAX, doesn't have native support for upgrades like SystemLink, so every upgrade is an uninstall followed by an install.  During the uninstall, it wipes out all of the configuration settings, so that is why it doesn't reconnect.

In order for us to keep the configuration for the master we would have to leak the files containing the target ID, server configuration, and security keys on all uninstalls if order for them to persist across the MAX upgrades.

Does that seem like a reasonable trade-off?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,949 Views)

Ok, that makes sense. At least I know that I don't have some other issue going on. 

What is the plan to add SW upgrades (NI SW) to SystemLink in the future such that I don't have to use MAX? Not that new versions of SL or other NI packages come out that often...but it would be nice.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,944 Views)

@wrkcrw00

What is the plan to add SW upgrades (NI SW) to SystemLink in the future such that I don't have to use MAX? Not that new versions of SL or other NI packages come out that often...but it would be nice.

The plan is to add support for being able to remotely update the SystemLink Client via SystemLink later this year most likely in our Q4 2018 release.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,939 Views)

So I'll only have to do the MAX upgrade one more time and remove/add the target to SystemLink (per target). Expectations set, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,935 Views)