SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Service and Viewer

We are looking at a possibility to use it as a File Server to keep packages which could be pushed to clients on request instead of having them on a network drive as we have now. Combining it with user roles and privileges would give us more control. So in case we make updates, we need to make sure we can update the files in case we make any upgrades. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,511 Views)

Is there a reason that you wouldn't just use the Package Repository for this?

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,510 Views)

There doesn't seem to be any security scheme at place right now for Package Repository, hence we are trying to explore the File Service to see if it could serve the purpose. NI File Service currently helps in granting certain privileges to user groups which we are trying to take advantage of.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,506 Views)

I'd like to register a vote for keeping more general file handling capability in SystemLink Cloud.  Don't necessarily need to be able to interact with them in a WebVI. It looks like this is available in LabVIEW 2019 but not NXG 3.1. 

Screenshot 2019-07-11 21.18.22.png

Screenshot 2019-07-11 21.16.40.png

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,304 Views)

We are currently working on adding the File API support for NXG.

Regarding the previous question about the Package Repository, the reason the Package Repository doesn't allow you to secure the feed is because the NI Package Manager currently lacks the ability to connect to a feed that requires authentication.  Leveraging the File Service won't help you if you intend on using the NI Package Manager to install packages from it.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,302 Views)

Thanks JoshuaP, I should have been more clear.   I just want to have general "files" capability in the API and in the palette going forward.  For example, Let's say I want to save data files or log files in some format other than TDMS.  Why was this capability removed in NXG? 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,296 Views)