SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Notifications (SMTP)

The NI SystemLink Server Configuration has a page for SMTP on the NI Skyline Service Manager.  I've set this up and am not trying to figure out how to use email alerts. What parts of SystemLink can send emails/alerts? To whom do the alerts get sent?

2018-06-28_16-49-37.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,622 Views)

I figured out how to configure the alarms and emailing, but I'm still not getting any emails. Might be a firewall issue on the server...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,600 Views)

Hi Jim, 

I am happy to see that you were able to configure the alarms and emails already, just for reference while I was researching to get some more insight for this I came into this document that might be useful just in case. How were you configuring these emails and alarms? Were you seeing alarms at least of none of those are working?

Maybe testing with the firewall down could be a nice try, if that doesn't work, could you share some more details of the current configuration that you have for your NI Web Server Configuration?

Regards,

Regards,

Sil.VI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,595 Views)

I'll respond to this when I can.

In the meantime, I'd like to request a feature where I can easily send a test email, to verify that my SMTP/Email settings are correctly configured. I'd like to be able to do that independently of the alarms feature. It would probably make sense to put this feature in the Skyline SMTP settings configuration page.

Message 4 of 13
(5,591 Views)

I am also facing the same issue. I have configured the SMTP details, but I am not getting any mail when the alarm becomes active. 

I have used the same SMTP details and tested using LabVIEW SMTP APIs and I am able to send mail.  

Please let me know what I am missing here.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,389 Views)

I agree that we could really use an option to send a test email.  I found it difficult to setup the first time as well.  Here are a few suggestions.

If you are using Gmail, you will need to disable 2 factor authorization.  With 2 factor disabled, these are the settings that worked for me.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 8.28.43 AM.png

Also, you can see a little more information if you use Trace Logger on the server.  To do so, open a command prompt as Administrator on the server and navigate to c:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Skyline.  Then run "NationalInstruments.Tlog.exe enable Smtp.*" followed by "NationalInstruments.Tlog.exe tail".

Here is what it looks like when everything is working.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 8.20.56 AM.png

Here is what it looks like when it isn't working.  In this case, I have 2 factor enabled.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 8.25.27 AM.png

Message 6 of 13
(5,384 Views)

I would take a look at the SystemLink Server log. It can contain any issues that were encountered when trying to send the email. When I was playing around with it, I was using the Google SMTP server and there was some security settings on my gmail that were preventing my server from using the SMTP server. 

The log that we are looking for is at C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\Skyline\Logs\log.txt. If you have trouble looking through that log you can post it here or DM me and I can take a look at it. 

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

Message 7 of 13
(5,382 Views)

Thank You Joshua and GreyGrey,

I turned off my two-factor authentication and tried the "NationalInstrumets.Tlog.exe tail" command. I got the below error. From my understanding, this error is different from the authentication error that you have shown in your post. Please let me know your suggestions on what I missed.

Error In Alarm Notification.png

Please find my SMPT settings below,

SMTP Configuration.png

Please find the last few lines of the log file that GreyGrey has mentioned below,

Logfile.png

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,362 Views)

I made a mistake in the hostname. Once I fixed it, I got email notification on Alarms. Please find the screenshots attached below,

Host Name Fixed.pngCommand Line After Fix.png

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,360 Views)

What is the 2 factor that needs to be disabled? Is it in gmail?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,845 Views)