From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Skyline needa SystemLink Node license?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm looking to use SystemLink in an upcoming project, but I'm more interested in the Data Management Software Suite side of things than asset management, software deployment, health monitoring, etc.

My system will have a single CompactRIO sending data back to a server PC.

Do I need a SystemLink Node license for my cRIO to use Skyline to send files to the server? What about Skyline tags?

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,324 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKSH

Do I need a SystemLink Node license for my cRIO to use Skyline to send files to the server? What about Skyline tags?

No you do not. The node license covers out-of-the-box health monitoring and systems management (deployment of software to remote targets). It is good to note that the APIs are currently included as part of the SystemLink Client download, however the client does not have to be licensed to use those APIs. 

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

Message 2 of 3
(2,300 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKSH

To be clear, if you want to register your CompactRIO to establish an automated secure connection to the SystemLink Server, that will require a SystemLink Node license.  With that option, you can identify the CompactRIO in SystemLink and perform remote functions on the device such as install software, restart, update time & network settings, etc.  With a registered node, the program using SystemLink APIs will leverage the secure authentication and routing to the server, so you won't have to worry about any of that in your code. 

If you want to transfer data from a CompactRIO to SystemLink without registering the device, you can use the HTTP APIs.  You will not have any systems management / remote administration capabilities, and you will have to manage the authentication to the server in your code.

Message 3 of 3
(2,296 Views)