SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin User vs Mapped Windows Administrator Privileges

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a mapped Windows users under the admin role of the SystemLink Server configuration.

I understand that there are a few levels of access.

1. Everyone - this is the view that you see prior to logging in.  For me, there's only a couple of applications available.

2. Users - this is what I see when I log in as a Windows user that's mapped in a Active Directory domain.  I can confirm that these users can see more than what they can prior to logging in, but not everything, since some functionality is reserved for the admins.

3. Admin - According to the SystemLink "NI Web Server Configuration", "Users mapped to this role are always granted every privilege across all applications."  This is the statement I am questioning though.

I'm seeing a weird behavior for my two admins.  My "admin" user (the default one for SystemLink that you can't delete) can see 2 dashboards in my Dashboards app, rename them, and edit them.  My mapped Windows user can see only 1 dashboard and cannot rename or edit them.  It seems that these two admins are not equal, and I want to know: is expected or why I don't see the same options for the default admin as I do with configured admins?

I anticipate that I may get asked, "Are you sure you setup the user as an admin?"  I do know this because that particular user can see applications that are restricted to just admins.

Any help is appreciated!

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,297 Views)

Hi,

Dashboards are created on a per user base. They can be shared and will then show up at other users. they can however only be edited from the user that created them.

Strange thing however other admins do seem to be able to delete and stop sharing the specific dashboard, only edit is prohibited.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,288 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure I completely see what you're saying though.  My default admin for the SystemLink Server CAN in fact edit, rename, and do anything with a dashboard any user has created.  My additional admin that is mapped to a windows user in the server configuration cannot do this.

There seems to be 4 levels of access, with increasing permissions:
1. Everyone

2. Users

3. Configured Admins

4. Default Admin

Though the configuration for admins does not seem to specify that there would be any difference, which I why I'm wondering if there's a problem with admin configuration.

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,282 Views)

I have it a bit different, my LDAP admin has a dashboard it can edit, but the default admin can't.

I'm not able to share a dashboard as a standard user. (Dashboard created by the standard user) It also doesn't show up with either admin user.

Seems I'm not answering your questions one bit, but adding to the confusion.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,274 Views)

Thanks for the input, and I agree it's a little different in our cases.  It's at least interesting to note that we are both seeing that the default admin and the configured windows admin (or in your case LDAP admin) seem to have different permissions, where I would have expected them to be the same.

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,266 Views)

I agree, that's why I would love to see the privilege system change to adopt the one currently implemented in SL cloud.

I think we need a system that can be configured and managed by admins through the SL portal.

The current system through the Web Server configuration is difficult to get right.

I have asked about it at multiple occasions, but for now it seems to be too far up the roadmap (too many other interesting features the're still working on).

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,261 Views)

What versions of SystemLink are you guys using?

When I configure my 19.0 SystemLink Server to allow login from Windows accounts, and add my windows user to the list of admins, I am not able to see any other users dashboards unless they are shared. Also, both the added windows admin account and the default admin account have the ability to share dashboards. I'm unable to reproduce either behavior that you guys are seeing. 

@Sdusing,

You mentioned that you are signing in using a windows account. Is the user that you are using to log in a local user for the server machine? Or an active directory user?

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,167 Views)

I'm using SystemLink 19.0.  We have checked the "Log in using Windows accounts" option on the Authentication tab of the NI Web Server Configuration UI.  We then selected the "Restrict to users in a single Active Directory domain" and entered our company Domain.

Your statement that "I am not able to see any other users dashboards unless they are shared" is consistent with what I see as well.  My windows user that (which is configured for admin rights) sees only 1 dashboard (of the 2 that exist).  If I log in using the default "Admin user," then I see both dashboards.  I think this is expected though, since I created both dashboards with the "Admin user" and only shared the 1 that my windows user can see.  So, in summary, my understanding is that Admin users cannot see ALL dashboards, but only those that are shared or that were made by the admin themselves?  (Note - I have "Manage dashboards and templates created by other users" set to admin level in the NI Web Server Configuration UI)

My windows user account does log me into the server machine.  Does this make a difference?

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,159 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sdusing

@sdusing wrote:

My windows user account does log me into the server machine.  Does this make a difference?

No, this shouldn't make a difference. I think I understand the way that your install is behaving but I want to very clearly and explicitly explain the behavior that I am seeing. The behavior that I'm seeing is the behavior that I would expect.

I have 3 accounts set up. I have the default admin that you setup during the Web Server configuration. I have a Windows user that I have given Admin privileges to. The third account that I have set up is a Windows user which does not have Admin privileges. Lastly, we can see the behavior when an account is not used to login. For this you need to make sure that the App is set to the correct permissions. I have included a screenshot showing my Web Server settings for Dashboard builder. 

image.png

When anyone creates a dashboard and does not share the dashboard, no user (except for the user that created the dashboard) can see its dashboards. When any user shares its dashboard, all users, and when you are not logged into a user, can see the dashboard. No user in my setup can see dashboards of any other user unless they have shared the dashboard. 

Also, to add some clarity, the "Manage dashboards and templates created by other users" privilege should not allow you to see other users dashboards but instead was added so that admins can clean up shared dashboards if for instance a user leaves a company and they don't have a way to unshare their dashboards. And even then, this can only be done via the HTTP API, and cannot be done via the GUI. I would not expect any users to be able to see any others dashboards that are not shared. 

Is this the behavior that you see?

I can try to look into whether using Active Directory or LDAP changes this behavior, but I don't expect it to considering local accounts don't see different behavior. 

-----------------------------------------------
Brandon Grey
Certified LabVIEW Architect

Message 9 of 12
(3,149 Views)

Thanks Brandon.  I think that very nicely answered my question.  I did not understand that unshared Dashboards could ONLY be viewed by the maker (due in part to my misunderstanding of the "Manage dashboards and templates created by other users" setting).  It makes sense now with your explanation.  

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,141 Views)