From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uninstall ni-switch LV 5.1 win 98

Hello,
  We were having a problem with not being able to initialize a SCXI 1127 hooked to a PCI 4060 card.  The short story is that the card worked in a different machine with 7.1 but did not work in the 5.1 machine.  The DMM software has a uninstall program but NI-Switch does not.  Uninstalling and reinstalling DMM 1.6 fixed the problem, but I also wanted to reinstall the NI-Switch program (before the problem was fixed).

So I guess my question is how could I remove software that can not be uninstalled?  When I tried to reinstall I just got the message saying 1.1 or higher already exists and the program stops.  I was trying to avoid going to a higher version and having something else go funny because it was upgraded.  I tried MSI Blast, but it did not report any installers for NI.

Bryan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,849 Views)
Hi Bryan,

Have you been unsuccessful using these steps from the NI-SWITCH readme?

Uninstalling the Instrument Driver

For Windows 2000/NT/Me/9x, do the following:

1. Open the Control Panel from Start\Settings\Control Panel and choose Add\Remove Programs.
  2. Select NI-SWITCH 1.6.
  3. Click Add\Remove.
My guess is you are using NI-SWITCH 1.1 based on the message.  Is that correct?  You may want to try upgrading to:

NI-SWITCH 1.6
http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/300/lang/en

See if this will install over the top on NI-SWITCH 1.1. 
Regards,
John Bongaarts
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,842 Views)

Hello,

The add/remove program folder does not contain an entry for NI-Switch.  I tried installing 1.1 and thats when I got the error about not being able to install.  I did not want to upgrade because installing a higher version also updates other components.  Since the machine has been working for years I did not want to possibly add to the problem by upgrading and have something else change.  And as usual the software is so old nobody knows where the original install software is anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,838 Views)
Hi again Bryan,

You can find all these drivers, which are free to download, here:

Drivers and Updates
http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/fn/p/lang/en

I understand your desire to keep the driver software as is.  You mentioned that reinstalling the NI-DMM driver fixed the issue with the chassis configuration.  Does this mean your application is running properly?  Also, you said you were moving this application from a machine with LabVIEW 7.1 to a machine with LabVIEW 5.1.  The two different LabVIEW versions will require different drivers and you would need to downgrade the application somehow as well.  There must have been some other steps taken when moving this application, so understanding some of them could help us diagnose the problem. 

If you are running an executable, then you would only need to download the LabVIEW 7.1 run-time engine and appropriate drivers to run the application on the other machine.

Were LabVIEW 5.1 and the drivers already installed on the machine you moved the application to, or did you do this at the same time?
Regards,
John Bongaarts
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,834 Views)

Hello John,

The original problem on the 5.1 machine was the program was looking for 14 vdc signal that was connected to a scxi-1127 board.  Going through the program we noticed that the 1127 boards were not initializing.  So we just moved the hardware, scxi chassis and a pci-4060 card, to a different machine with 7.1 and wrote a new vi to initialize the 1127 boards and everything seemed ok.  Since everything initialized properly on the 7.1 machine it was not a hardware issue so I started looking into drivers.  That is when I ran into the problem with NI-Switch software not uninstalling.  I did find all the driver software I needed on the NI site, so that was not a problem.  I just did not have a copy of 5.1 if I wanted to do a complete reinstall.

As far as I could tell everything was working ok with the original program, so I sent the machine back.  I should hear in a day or so if everybody is happy or not. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,825 Views)