cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

isolation and continuity automation

Looking for ideas and options for the following. I want to automate a
series of continuity and isolation test required for cables. There
could be dozens of variations of cables each having many measurement
requirements. has anyone done this before?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,851 Views)
Hi Bill,

In reference to checking for continuity, the challenge may not be with the measurement, but with the connectivity.  In your post, you mention there will likely be a variety of cables you want to test.  If you're interfacing to a number of different cables, connectivity may be simplified through a third-party mass interconnect solution.  In larger systems, such as the one you describe, with hundreds of testpoints (or multiple instruments, reconfigurable system requirements, frequent connects/disconnects, etc.), this more comprehensive approach to planning signal connections is often required.

The following whitepaper details the main components of a mass interconnect system, where they are most appropriate, and discusses different options for building a mass interconnect system as a part of an automated test equipment (ATE) project.  Perhaps it will assist you.

Benefits of Mass Interconnect/Fixturing in Automated Test Systems
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/2712

Once the test fixtures are built that connect to your cables, all you require is the instrumentation to generate, measure, and route test signals.  I would require more information in reference to the cables you're planning on testing to assist you with selecting equipment, but generalized suggestions may include a) dense digital I/O equipment wired directly into and out of the cable mating connectors, and b) a single voltage source, measurement device, and switching matrix (used to connect the source and measurement device to all the contact points of each cable).  The configuration that is right for your application depends on the types of measurements you want to perform (i.e. low voltage isolation/short-circuits testing vs high voltage insulation/hipot testing) and how many measurements you want to make.

Hope this helps!

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA 
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,845 Views)
Thank You Chad...If at all possible I'd like to contact you about my specific applications. Is there a phone # I can reach you on?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,839 Views)

Hi Bill,

I attempted to send you an email.  Let me know if you do not receive it.

Best regards,

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,834 Views)