From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how close relays SMIP SM4002?

Hi everybody,

We are trying to close the relays of one SMIP SM4002 included in a Mainframe CT-400, but cannot make this.

First of all we install the drivers of all the intruments in the Mainframe, and we verify the correct working of most of them, but when we start the
"soft front panel" of the SMIP instrument, doesn't work well, we get the ERROR: "Autoconnect to first failed" and if then we try to INIT the instrument, we get the error "error initializing the instrument", so we cannot comunicate with the instrument.

We try the comunication with the SMIP instrument with another software, this is, we use the program VISA Interactive Control to stablish a session
with the instrument.

We follow the instructions described on the
page 66 of the SMIP user's manual to fill the datafields in the session window opened with the
instrument. We go to the Registre I/O viOut and put:

Address Space => VI_A16_SPACE
Offset => 0
Data Value => 0xFFFF (to close the relays)
Width => 16 bits

So we are trying to close the first 16 relays (Instructions page 66 ), but when we fisicaly verify that the relays are closed we observe that all
relays are still open.

We fisicaly verify, for example, the conexion between the signals Y1.A1 and X1.A1 corresponding to the relay K1 (Figure J-2 SM4002 Schematic, page 113 of the SMIP user's manual), measuring between the Row D pin 10 and the Row E pin 7 (Table J-1 SM4002 Connector Pin/Signal Assignments, page 111 of the SMIP user's manual)

We also have tryed with different offsets 2,4,6, etc

When we write the value to the device, there is not an error, but the relays keep open.

We have also try to program this instrument using Lawview, but we hav
e gotten the same results.

We don't know which can be the problem, and we should be very much obliged if you could help us...

best regards.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,175 Views)
Hi Ruben,

I did a search on the product that you are using (the SMIP SM4002) and it looks like it is a VXI switch module from VXI Technologies.

The one thing that stands out in my mind from what you have written is that you were trying to write a value to A16 space at offset 0. For VXI instruments, this section of A16 space is reserved for the configuration registers. You should not be able to write to these registers.

If you cannot find the information you are looking for in the user manual for this board, I think it would be best to contact the support group at VXI Technologies.

Regards,

Julia Dinolfo
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,175 Views)