Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't download NI switch example programs to run a pxi 2565

1. tried to run NIswitch Easy I/O reset, but it won't download to the PXI system.

2. NI switch soft front panel doesn't see the pxi system either.

I *can* communicate with our 8420 serial i/o and 6527 digital i/o, so the problem is not likely to be in the hardware.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,144 Views)
The first step to make sure your switch is working is to make sure you have all the current software. Do you still have the Software CD that came with the PXI-2565, or are you downloading the individual software from the web?

If you are installing from the web make sure that you have the latest software:
NIDAQ 6.9.0 (or later)
NI-VISA 2.5.2 (or later)
IVI Engine 1.6.1 (or later)
CVI Run-Time Engine 5.1.0 (for the NI-Switch Soft Front Panel)
NI-Switch 1.6 (or later)

If you have these installed and you are still having problems uninstall NI-VISA and NI-Switch and reinstalling NI-VISA and NI-Switch. NI-VISA is the main protocol for communicating with the switch.

Make sure you see the instrument in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX). Make sure you refresh the configuration. It should appear under Devices and Interfaces under the PXI System folder.

If MAX and Switch Soft Front Panel doesn't see the switch then if possible try the switch in another chassis.

If all of these steps fail contact National Instruments to start the Return Merchandise Authorization.
www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,144 Views)
I installed all of the software off of the CD's that came with the hardware.

NIDAQ 6.9.2
NI-VISA 2.6.0
IVI Engine 1.61
CVI RT Engine 6.0.4.105
NI-Switch 1.6

still doesn't work. MAX doesn't have a "PXI System" folder, just "My System" and "Remote Systems"

VISA seems to be OK, since I can run the "VISA Find Resource" VI to locate the serial connectors on he pxi 8420, but it won't find the switches.

I couldn't find a way for MAX to allow me to put NI switch on the PXI chassis. should I be able to? could this just be a communication problem?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,144 Views)
Peterm,

It would be easier to help you troubleshoot if you contact the Applications Engineering Department directly. To do this, please create your service request number by going to the web page http://www.ni.com/ask and choosing "Phone NI".

We can configure MAX to show the PXI System entry every time. Usually you would not have to do this because after installing the Swtiches this entry should show up automatically.

So the following are the steps we should follow:
  1. Refresh MAX:
    • Launch MAX, go to the View menu and Refresh. Expand the "My System" entry.
    • Do you see the "PXI System" entry now? If you do, then you can go ahead and start your application
    • If you still cannot, then go to step 2

2. Make sure that the PXI-2565 shows up in the Device Manager:
    • Are you running Windows 2000 or Windows XP? These Operating Systems tend to leave boards in the Device Manager as "Unknown PCI Devices" if you installed the driver after installing the board in the system.
    • Go to your desktop. Right click on the icon "My Computer" and choose Properties. Go to the "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Manager".
      You should see an entry under the name of your computer called "NI-VISA PXI Devices". Your PXI-2565 board should be under this category.
      Make sure that there is not a yellow exclamation mark infront of it. If there is, I would advice you to uninstall the NI-VISA and NI-SWITCH driver, uninstall the board, and re-install the drivers again. Then you could re-install your board and it should work fine.
    • If you cannot find the PXI-2565 in the Device Manager, do you see any "Unknown PCI Devices"? If you do, delete them. Then right click on the blank space in the "Device Manager" and choose "Scan for Hardware Changes".
      Now your switch board should appear in the Device Manager. Launch Max, go to the View menu and Refresh.
      You can start your application now.

3. Configure MAX to always show the PXI System entry
    • Launch MAX, go to the View menu and Refresh
    • Go to the menu Tools>>NI-VISA>>Visa Options.
    • In the General tab, check the option "Show all PXI/PCI devices accessible to VISA"
    • Go to the Passports tab and check the NiViPxi.dll
    • Click on the OK button. The VISA Options window should be closed
    • Go to the View menu and Refresh.
    • Now you should see the PXI System entry under Devices and Interfaces, and your Switch board should appear there. You might see other PXI VISA Resource Names for other NI boards that support NI-VISA (see KnowledgeBases linked below).
    • The format of the PXI VISA Resource Name is explained in the Knowledge Bases linked below.

KnowledgeBase 2IJ896LS : What Is the Format for VISA Resources for PXI Devices?

KnowledgeBase 2J3C1ALS : How Do I Change the Resource Identification of My NI Switch Card?

Please feel free to contact the Applications Engineering Department directly. You can create your service request number by going to the web page http://www.ni.com/ask and choosing "Phone NI". We would be happy to help you troubleshoot.

Hope this helps,

Claudia Lorente
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,143 Views)