Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Executive Toolkit, how do I install it?

Dear all,

I have Labview 2009, I have switch executive 3.0, I was happy.

Now I have loads of routes and Route Groups within Switch Exec which we use in Teststand (by IVI), I am happy.

Now I thought it would be nice to write a little .VI which called the route configuration for a route group and displayed it in a graphical way to help visualise a route for debugging and fault finding without opening MAX. I found some examples in Labview 2009 example finder which I thought might kick me off... But ... I could not open them, I was told

"Description:
Note: This example requires an add-on toolkit in order to run.  The toolkit needed is not currently installed."

I was further told I needed to install Switch Executive... I have Switch Executive, full development licence, it works through MAX and IVI.

Can anyone tell me how I get the Labview Toolkit to work?

Regards

Matt

Message 1 of 7
(7,734 Views)

Hi Matt,

Switch Executive 3.0 was written before LabVIEW 2009 and so isn't automatically installed in 2009.  In order to make Switch Executive 3.0 work in LabVIEW 2009,  you'll need to copy some files from an older version of LabVIEW into the same folder hierarchy in LabVIEW 2009.  You must install Switch Executive 3.0 onto the machine using the NI Installer prior to copying these files from the old version of LabVIEW to 2009:

Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\Examples\SwitchExecutive\

Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\Menus\Categories\Measurement\nise.mnu

Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\Menus\Categories\Measurement\_niSE\

Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\help\nise.chm
Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\help\nise.txt
Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\vi.lib\SwitchExecutive\

If you're using 64 bit LabVIEW 2009, you'll need to copy the above files from Program Files(x86) to Program Files.

You'll also need to copy:

Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Example Finder\1.0\Products\LabVIEW\LV Version\exbins\english\platform\lvswexec.bin3

and

Program Files\National Instruments\Switch Executive 

to their respective hierarchies in Program Files(x86)

In addition, you'll need to copy:

Windows\system32\nise.dll

Windows\system32\niselm.dll

to Windows\sysWOW64

Sorry for the inconvenience.  Have a great day!

Message Edited by Knights Who Say NI on 01-12-2010 03:14 PM
-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,724 Views)

Hello again Matt,

In my previous post I mentioned that Switch Executive 3.0 could be installed in LV 2009 64 bit.  Unfortunately, this isn't the case: if you install the files as described in my previous post, LabVIEW will throw a nise.dll error when you try to call any NISE VIs.  The error states "a 32 bit DLL cannot be loaded in 64 bit versions of LabVIEW".  

Also, the "Install for most recent version of LabVIEW" option should work assuming you have the 32 bit version of LabVIEW 2009 installed.  In case you haven't figured this out by now, one of my test systems yesterday had the 64 bit version of LabVIEW 2009 installed ;).

Hope this clears up any confusion. 

Message Edited by Knights Who Say NI on 01-13-2010 04:35 PM
-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,693 Views)

Hi Knights who say NI,

Thanks for your replys, unfortunately I seem unable to find the files and some of the folders you have listed in my previous Labview folder (8.6).

But don't worry because I found the niseCfg.llb which contains all the tools I need so I'm just working from that.

Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,686 Views)

Hi Matt,

Glad to hear you have a temporary workaround.  Which files are missing from the LabVIEW 8.6 directory?  I would suspect an incomplete install if any of the aforementioned files are missing.

Message Edited by Knights Who Say NI on 01-15-2010 10:00 AM
-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,669 Views)

Hi Knights,

I do not have LV version older than 2009 on my computer, so how can I get the toolkit working in LabVIEW ?

Are necessary files available on NI website ? 

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,230 Views)

In fact the answer is here : http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BD13C1A71B65E39A8625765500652C0E

It worked fine for me. 

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,217 Views)