Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Executive 1.0.2 not appearing in NIMAX

Hi,

Switch Executive 1.0.2 is not appearing in NIMAX Deveices and Interfaces.  Labview 7.1 and TestStand3.1 are the other software's installed. In the License manager also, NI switch executive is not listed.

Can somebody point me, what wrong could be going on? 

Regards,
Papaiah Kummari
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,566 Views)
Hi Papaiah,

That is very interesting behavior.  Does Switch Executive show up under your "Software" tree in MAX?  Also, does NI Switch Executive show up under the list of NI Software when you go to Control Panel>>Add/Remove Programs and select National Instruments Software and click on Change?

Do you notice any difference if instead of opening MAX directly, you go to Start>>Programs>>National Instruments>>Switch Executive>>MAX with NI Switch Executive?

One thing to try would be to uninstall and reinstall NI Switch Executive to see if this has any effect on the appearance of this installer on your system.  Let me know how this goes, as we definitely want to make sure you get up and running with this software.

Have a great day!
Travis W
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,549 Views)

Thank you for the response, I think I got confused between switch executive 2.0.1 and 1.02. When I right click on the devices and interfaces and try to create a NI switchexecutive object it worked fine.

However, I still am facing a problem:

I am trying to create a new veirtual switch executive device (RFDrawer), it is not letting me use this particular name, I get a message "Virtual device name is not unique orcontains invalid characters" , but a virtual device with that name is not visible. I am thinking it might have it in memory some where and it is not letting me use it again. But I can create a virtual device RFDrawer1 and do validation etc..

Please let me know what is happening?

Regards

Papaiah Kummari

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,539 Views)
Hi Papaiah,

It sounds like the configuration data for MAX may have gotten corrupted to where it remembers a previous Virtual Device name that is no longer present.  One thing to try would be to follow the steps detailed in this KnowledgeBase entry for forcing a manual refresh of MAX configuration information.  Please note that this will remove all current Virtual Devices and NI DAQmx tasks on your system.

Let us know how this goes, and best of luck on the application.

Have a great day!
Travis W
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,525 Views)

Hi Travis,

It worked, Thanks a lot.

It saved lot of time and effort for me, I was thinking of rebuiding the PC because this problem and below one.

Now that MAX works fine, I have another problem. When I exit from labview, it is not closing properly. Labview is active on task bar, I have right click , select Close then shutdown the application.

Is there any way I can get arroung this?

Regards,

Papaiah Kummari

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,518 Views)

Hi Papaiah,

What happens when you close LabVIEW "Getting Started" window by selecting File->Exit ? Are you able to relaunch LabVIEW successfully ?

Tunde

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,504 Views)
Hi Tunde,

After looking at your message, I went to verify the PC on my test system and tried closing labview from file menu and as well as selecting window close option. It looks like I was wrong to say labview is not closing, it is taking long time to close it, aproximately 2 to 5 min based on where it is being closed. Earlier, after little bit of waiting, I was forcing labview aplication to close. No other windows application is taking that much of time to close, it looks specific to Labview.

Regards,
Papaiah Kummari
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,497 Views)

Papaiah:

What version of LabVIEW and NI-MAX are you using?  Are you running any vi before you try to close LabVIEW?  Does running and closing NI-MAX show the same slowness?

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,478 Views)