From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source of 2X9 Receptacles for 2630

Solved!
Go to solution

Does anybody know of a source of the 2X9 IDC receptacle blocks to mate cabling with the NI-2630 terminal block? The specification manual identifies a Samtec part that does not seem to be available now. Most of the IDC dual row receptacles I see on the market are 0.6" tall. I measured the inside of the terminal block (crudely, with a ruler) and found that there is just about a half inch from the base of the pins to where I eyeball the cover to sit when attached. The small packet of parts that came with the terminal block are about quarter inch tall. Does anybody know of a Samtec part that replaced the IDD series identified in the NI literature, or an alternative?

I do know that there is a Molex series that may work. TE and FCI parts that I have reviewed are too tall. I am looking to identify alternatives for the cable assemblers that I have asked to quote for me.

Specs: 18-pin dual row receptacles at 0.1" pitch. Max height, including wiring (and likely wiring from up to THREE other connectors!) is about a half inch. Probably needs to be IDC for those clearances, but solder connections would work. I suspect that the assemblers will use shielded discrete wire or twisted pair cabling and not ribbon cabling for these assemblies.

Thanks!!

Jeff

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,855 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Jeffrey_Zola

Jeff,

Are you looking for the complete cable, or for Cable Connectors [that come in the bag]?

Cable

The complete cable is listed in the installation instructions ["IDSD-09 Series"] and can be found on many 3rd party websites as well as Samtec's website.

Cable Connectors

Since the NI-2530 and NI-2530B should have been directly replaceable, the NI part number 778962-01 listed in the 2630B installation instructions should be identical. The NI 778962-01 can be purchased on NI's web site here.

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
Message 2 of 6
(6,849 Views)

Thanks, Frank!

I swear that I looked to see whether NI stocks these still, but was unable to find them.

I also called Samtec. The part number listed all of the NI documentation (IDD-09-HG) is incorrect. The correct P/N is IDD-09-G. I have posted this also to the comments section of the recently republished White Paper that discusses connecting signals to the PXI-2530 and references these parts.

I did learn that Samtec will produce these receptacles to order, even with numbers as low as a couple dozen. The gal I spoke with said that production would only take a few business days from receipt of order. Not bad, IMO.

Jeff

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,825 Views)

Follow-up question, Frank. Does NI stock the pouches of connectors, or do they need to be ordered from your supplier?

In other dords, is it likely that the 12-20 days that the NI web site lists for estimated shipment is overestimating things, or does it include time for NI to obtain the parts.

Thanks!

Jeff

@Frank-L wrote:

Jeff,

Are you looking for the complete cable, or for Cable Connectors [that come in the bag]?

Cable

The complete cable is listed in the installation instructions ["IDSD-09 Series"] and can be found on many 3rd party websites as well as Samtec's website.

Cable Connectors

Since the NI-2530 and NI-2530B should have been directly replaceable, the NI part number 778962-01 listed in the 2630B installation instructions should be identical. The NI 778962-01 can be purchased on NI's web site here.

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,739 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Generally speaking, the quoted lead times are going to be shipping times from our own inventory as it applies to commonly ordered parts.

With more specialty parts and parts with low purchase volumes, there will be an included purchase time on top of the shipping time.

Ben R.
Aerospace & Defense Test
Solutions Marketer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,726 Views)

Ben-  I am backed into a corner as I am having cables made up to interface to the TB-2630 male headers, but have found that female receptcles that will fit within the terminal block case are difficult to find. I am working with a cable assembler who has expressed a concern over using the Molex connector I identified was in stock at the supply houses and is low profile. And I contacted Samtec, who NI identifies as a source of the connectors you supply.

I was hoping a forum post would save me a call to NI to see if the 778962-01 are stocked or need to be ordered from Samtec.

I will pick up the phone later...

Jeff

@NotBen wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Generally speaking, the quoted lead times are going to be shipping times from our own inventory as it applies to commonly ordered parts.

With more specialty parts and parts with low purchase volumes, there will be an included purchase time on top of the shipping time.

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,716 Views)