Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-2567 - Relay Switching Issues

I am having difficulties controlling a PXI-2567.  I am using this relay driver with a PCIe-1073 chassis and PCIe-8361.  It took a very long time to be able to communicate with the PXI-2567.  After pulling the module out of the slot and putting it back in, I was able to communicate with it as show in the NI-MAX screen shot below.

NIMAX Screenshot.PNG

Using a VI I found under examples (Help --> Find Examples -->  NI Switch --> Switch - Controlling an Individual Relay(NI-Switch).vi), I closed k8 as shown in the screen show below.

VI Screenshot.PNG

If I go back to NI Max, click on the PXI-2567 and open test panel, the NI-Switch Front Panel Opens.  If I click Relays and under "Relay Information", I can see that k8's relay position is closed.

NI Switch Screen Shot.PNG

However, if I connect a DMM to measure continuity between ch8 and com8 (pin 1 and pin 3), it appears open as shown below (the red lead is floating).

20191022_093441.jpg

Am I missing something, or is it possible that there is something wrong with relay driver module?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,262 Views)

Natalie,

After pulling the module out of the slot and putting it back in

I assume that you did, but please confirm that you powered off the chassis, removed and added the module back in, then powered on the chassis and rebooted. Is that correct?

Am I missing something, or is it possible that there is something wrong with relay driver module?

Do any of the other relay connections work? Did you try only one bank or both banks?

Looking at the image it seems like one LED (the 5V LED) is not powered on. This might indicate that a fuse is blown. If the fuse is blown the relays may not function as expected.

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,252 Views)

Hi 

@Frank-L wrote:

Natalie,

After pulling the module out of the slot and putting it back in

I assume that you did, but please confirm that you powered off the chassis, removed and added the module back in, then powered on the chassis and rebooted. Is that correct?

Am I missing something, or is it possible that there is something wrong with relay driver module?

Do any of the other relay connections work? Did you try only one bank or both banks?

Looking at the image it seems like one LED (the 5V LED) is not powered on. This might indicate that a fuse is blown. If the fuse is blown the relays may not function as expected.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Yes, the chassis was definitely powered off when I took the module in and out.  I have tried other relay banks.  

Is there a way to turn on and off the internal power supplies? Or should both LEDs just remain lit if the fuses aren't blown?  Since we just got this module the other week and have not really used it yet, it would be surprising that a fuse is blown, but you never know.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,242 Views)

Natalie,

These power supplies are exposed on the front panel, there is a chance that something was shorted? Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the internal power supplies. 

Both LEDs should remain lit if the fuses aren't blown. You can disconnect the board and run a continuity test on the fuses to see if the fuses have been blown.http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373469e.pdf

Perhaps work with customer support to fix the board if the module is new and within warranty?

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,222 Views)

Thanks again.  I will look at this later today and get back to you.

We will not be using the internal power supplies.  However, if I understand correctly, if a fuses is broken, the module will not work properly.  Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,219 Views)

I checked the fuses and neither are damaged.  Could it be something else on the board?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,209 Views)

Has there been any update on this? I just started using some old 2567 boards at my facility and I have been having the same issue. The relays will work fine for a few days, then I will have the same issue where I open/close the relay on the NI, but the module appears to remain open. What else can I do to troubleshoot this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,529 Views)

It turns out my module was defective, and I was sent a new one.

If I understand you correctly, you are able to open/close a relay in NI Max, but it physically is not.  Have you tried using one of the other slots with your module?

Message 8 of 9
(5,524 Views)

Thanks for the follow-up. I've diagnosed my issue a little further. As other pins have been working fine, I believe the heat shrink on my solders to the 78-pin D-sub failed and cased some shorts between pins. I've purchased a terminal block board to connect to the 2567 and I will see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,511 Views)