From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NISWITCH_32.dll problem with Visual Basic

I am using a PXI 2532 and I am trying to control the switchboard with some program in Visual Basic.

I am using the latest Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition to make my program.

I try to check the example code :
'Open a session to the switch module and set the topology.
niSwitchCheckErr(niSwitch_InitWithTopology(txtResourceName.Text, txtTopology.Text, VI_FALSE, VI_TRUE, switchSession))

'Configures the switch module for scanning. Refer to NI Swtiches Help for scan list syntax.
niSwitchCheckErr(niSwitch_ConfigureScanList(switchSession, txtScanList.Text, NISWITCH_VAL_BREAK_BEFORE_MAKE))

'Configures the input trigger to be software trigger.
niSwitchCheckErr(niSwitch_ConfigureScanTrigger(switchSession, 0, NISWITCH_VAL_SOFTWARE_TRIG, NISWITCH_VAL_NONE))

'Configures the switch to loop continuously through the scan list until niSwitch_Abort is called.
niSwitchCheckErr(niSwitch_SetContinuousScan(switchSession, VI_TRUE))

'Initiates the scan usings the configured scan list and triggers.
niSwitchCheckErr(niSwitch_InitiateScan(switchSession))

But It is not working, as I have to add some reference to my project.

The help says :
Add a reference to the National Instruments Switch Library (NISWITCH), which is part of the NI-SWITCH DLL. In Visual Basic 6.0, select the Project»References menu option and National Instruments Switch Library (NISWITCH). If you do not see NISWITCH listed there, click Browse and locate NISWITCH_32.dll in your IVI\Bin directory.
Use the Object Browser to find function prototypes and constants.
Add NI-SWITCH function calls to your application.

I am adding the reference using the Browse way of doing it. I can see the DLL file and while trying to add it as a reference I have the following error message :

A reference to C:/Program Files/IVI foundation/Bin/NISWITCH_32.dll could not be added. Please make sure that the file is accessible and that it is a valid assembly or COM component

If this component is not the good one, which is the good one I have to add to my project to add the library recognizing the NI functions ?

Thanks for your help

Regards
C.
Message Edited by CLU883R on 09-17-2008 02:19 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,938 Views)

Hi C.,

.NET will not accept NISWITCH_32.dll because it is a C DLL and .NET requires an assembly or COM component.  I recommend using one of our Visual Basic .NET example programs and the included .NET wrapper.  Once the simple example works, then you can change the code to employ scanning and/or whatever else you might need to accomplish.

Here is a .NET example showing how to make connections on a switch:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4577

I was able to upgrade it simply by opening the .sln with the Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.  Attached, I have shown how to configure Form1 so the program will work with a PXI-2532.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Chad Erickson

Switch Product Support Engineer

NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,919 Views)
Dear Sir,

The example you gave me contain a file named NiSwitch.vb I think it contains the VB drivers.
So now, with this example, I can use the Niswitch library functions.

Thanks for your quick help and consideration

May I suggest to NI to update their help file to include this link.

Best Regards
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,916 Views)