Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NISE virtual device causes LabVIEW exception error

I can't delete a virtual device because when selected it causes an exception error in LabVIEW. I'm running MAX 4.1 with DAQmx8.3. Do I need to uninstall everything and then reinstall to correct this error?

kph
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,893 Views)

Hi kphite,

It's possible something has corrupted your mxs file system stored in the MAX data folder.  Uninstalling and reinstalling everything may work, but may not be the best option.  I would like to see if we can pinpoint the cause of the possible corruption.  What exception error are you getting when attempting to delete the virtual device?  Have you ever been able to delete a NI Switch Executive virtual device?  If so, do you remember what you might have done between that time and now?  Did you always have MAX 4.1 on this computer, or did you recently upgrade?  Have you ever tried to export a NISE virtual device to a network drive?

Please let me know if you have more information you'd be willing to share.  Thanks!

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,885 Views)
Okay here is what I remember...

I had MAX 4.0 installed on the computer (not sure of the DAXmx version but probably 8.1) and I went to export a NISE virtual device to a network drive. At that time MAX froze up and I had to kill it with task manager. When I reopened MAX the virtual device gave me a LabVIEW error when I selected it. I was able to rename it and replace it with a backed up version. I then went to delete it but MAX continued to lock up. I read in the discussion forums about the export to network drive issue and the fix with MAX 4.1 so I downloaded DAQmx 8.3 with MAX 4.1 and installed it. Afterwards MAX seemed more stable but I still get the LabVIEW error when I try to select the renamed (broken) virtual device. Also since this started I've been getting weird exception errors when I run my TestStand/LabVIEW code.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

kph
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,882 Views)
Hi kphite,

Is there an email address I can write you at?  I believe this may require further troubleshooting beyond what we can provide on this forum.

Please let me know!

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,865 Views)