From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My BNC2096 does not find TEDS sensor

I have a PCI 4021 controller connected to a BNC 2096.  I have a TEDS sensor connected to the BNC 2096.  I am unable to find the device when I hit "scan for TEDS" in the BNC 2096 properties software.  I am running Measurement and Automation Exporer v3.1 and using NI-DAQmx 7.2.  If I run NI-SPY,  I do not see communications while scanning for my sensor.  However,  if I expand the PXI bus in MAX,  I can view the communications with the PCI 4021.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,598 Views)
Hello Lori,

I want to make sure that you are setting everything up correctly. In the Measurement and Automation Explorer open Devices and Interfaces and right click on NI-DAQmx Devices. Select Create New NI-DAQmx Device>>NI-DAQmx TEDS Interface>>BNC 2096.

To configure the BNC-2096 TEDS sensor carrier, complete the following steps:

1. Select the controlling DAQ Device from the Controlling Device pull-down menu. This device, which is cabled to the back of the BNC-2096 terminal block, handles the digital communication for reading the data sheets from your TEDS sensors.
  2. Choose a physical channel in each pull-down menu in the BNC-2096 Channels box. The labels for each of these menus correspond to the BNC connectors labeled CH,0..15> on the bottom row of your BNC-2096 accessory. The physical channel you select for each entry should match this terminal's connection to your IEPE acquisition device(s).
  3. In the carrier ID selection box, enter a unique alphanumeric name. Use this ID to identify this particular TEDS carrier in applications. MAX rejects any name with invalid characters, such as punctuation.
  4. In the 2096 Address selection box, enter the appropriate carrier address setting. The correct carrier jumper settings are shown in the interactive DIP switch graphic in the configuration window. Make sure the software setting matches the actual carrier address setting on the BNC-2096. You also can click the DIP switches in the graphic to match your existing hardware settings. The carrier address updates automatically to match the DIP switch graphic.
  5. Click Scan for TEDS to detect the sensors connected to the physical channels. If you do not detect TEDS sensors at the expected locations, check your cable connections and physical channel connections. Click Scan for TEDS after verifying your system.
  6. Click OK to accept the changes or Cancel to reject changes.
  7. After exiting the BNC-2096 configuration screen, click the newly detected TEDS sensors in the left frame beneath your IEPE devices to view the electronic data sheets.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Marni S.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,587 Views)
Thank-you for your response.  I recieved an alternate PCI card which seems to have solved the problem!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,580 Views)