From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matrix Switch, why Multiple Pins for Single Row?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a PXIe-2737.  It is a 4 x 64 matrix switch (2 wire).  The pinout shows four pins for each wire of each row.  example: R0+ is on pins E32, E24, E16, and E8.

As far as I can see, the 2737 has only one topology, so what is the purpose of routing a single row conductor to multiple pins?  Are they connected internally, or do I need to jumper them externally?

I have searched the documentation and the NI Switches help and can't seem to find this information.

Thanks,

-B

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,274 Views)
Solution
Accepted by scapegoat

They are connected internally, you can use a DMM to validate this, there is no need to jumper them.

As far as reasoning goes, I believe the reason is so that all the rows are available on each terminal block if you the 160-Pin DIN Cable.

I personally use a 2737 and I only have one of the set of row pins connected and it works just fine.

Message 2 of 3
(4,260 Views)

Thanks, marshallg,

That explanation makes sense, especially after looking at the accessory you referenced. We did confirm with a continuity check.

-B

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,100 Views)