Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Documentation to Understand Matrix Switch Configurations

Hello,

As the title says, I'm looking for some resource to help me understand the specifics of different Matrix Switch configurations.  

For instance, the PXIe-2532B support both a "2-wire dual 4 x 32 matrix" and a "2-wire 8 x 32 matrix". On the surface the seem to be much the same thing, but clearly there must be a difference.  I speculate that the "dual" indicates that you can have concurrent operation, with a guarantee not to have an unintended short introduced as part of that operation, whereas the "non-dual" configuration does not make that guarantee.  

I don't know if that is correct or not, and I haven't been able to find documentation that speaks to this sort of detail.  Where can I find such information, along with other details of the limits of these devices.  In particular, I'm interested to know if there are any limitations concerning which channels are available to which end-points, of if there is no such limitation.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,797 Views)

Alex,

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/4453/en/ gives a general overview of the different types of topologies, but doesn't explain why you might choose a dual matrix over a simply bigger matrix.

The dual 4x32 matrix topology is essentially two separate matrices that are independent, while the 8x32 matrix topology is a single matrix. The dual mode adds a bit more versatility.

For 2-wire on the 2532B There are three topologies you could have chosen a 4x64, a 8x32, or a dual 4x32.

Take a situation where you need 6 unique paths to connect a single row to a single column at one point in the test. The dual 4x32 and the 8x32 can do this equally well (see below). The 4x64 cannot achieve this.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.24.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.24.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.24.43 AM.png

Now lets say there is a second part of the test where you need 40 DUTs connected to a single Power Supply. The 4x64 can accomplish this and the dual 4x32 can also accomplish this with the help of external wiring (see below) . The 8x32 cannot accomplish this task. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.28.57 AM.png

Essentially there is a bit more versatility with the dual mode, but you might need external wiring.

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,725 Views)

So would you recommend a 2525 ( im using PXI) for a 2 wire, 64 to one configuration??  I'm trying to do a 4 wire measurement ( <100 ohms) .  Can 2 relays be closed at the same time w a 2525??  For example S0 and S10 closed at the same time to give a 4 wire measurement on TB1/TB3?  Or could I get away w a matrix instead of a MUX.  Could you point me to the schematic for a 64x1 MUX??  Couldn't find it anywhere for the PXI2525.  Included a portion of my schematic.  Thanks..

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,646 Views)