Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Switch Executive am I better off using manual or execution

If I close a relay using Switch Exec ( IVI Switch)  in Test Stand 4.0, take a measurement then open that relay am I better off using manual or execution for the "life" of the step?

I want to make sure the switch is open after the open relay step is executed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,196 Views)
The short answer is that it does not matter; all will do what you want.  The switch will remain open after the open relay step is executed.  The longer answer is that it depends on what you are doing with the connection and the rest of your program.  The connection lifetime is how long the resource, the connection, is held. If you select Manual, you'll have to use another Edit IVI Switch Step to manually disconnect the connection.  Manual has its uses, such as if you only use a connection at the beginning of a long routine.  You could connect and disconnect the connection manually instead of keeping it connected, thus tying up the resource the entire time. 
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,178 Views)

Thanks.  Another thing.  I created aliases in SW EXE in MAX.  I have, for example a 2584,  My alias might be "A2_CH1_to_COM0"or "A2_CH2_to_ COM0", etc. in MAX.  It names that route.  I called this grp of aliases, "Test Fixture".  Being new to SWExec I used "Test Fixture" grp for ALL my Test Fixtures.  Now I want the same aliases but a differnt name for the grp name.  Maybe "Self Test".  Is there an easy way to cut and paste the aliases from one grp to another??

How do you use the exclusion tab for a 2584??  I have 2 or 3 or 4 relays that I NEVER want closed at the same time in my Test Fixture Grp.  They may be OK in Self Test grp.  That is why I want another grp that may have a different name.  How would I do that ?

Thanks,

Clint

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,169 Views)

Hi Clint,

2nd Question: Exclusions 

For mutual exclusions, you create a list of channels that should never connect to one another.
For set exclusions, you create two lists of channels. Channels from the first list should never connect to channels of the second list. For example, a set exclusion can be used to separate a high-power DC and RF signal.

In reference to the 2 to 4 relays: if they were closed at the same time, would the result be a connection between channels?  If so, then you want to create an Exclusion of type Mutual and add these channels to the list. 

1st Question: Aliases

The easy answer to the copy/paste question is to use the integrated Excel import/export feature.  You can export your Virtual Device to file and open it in Microsoft Excel.  From there, you can edit your configuration and copy the necessary aliases from one Route Group to a new one (using Excel's simple text editing features and/or advanced formulas).  When you are satisfied with your changes, you can import your configuration back to a new or existing Virtual Device. 

However, I believe the whole purpose of copying aliases between Route Groups was to create exclusions for one Route Group, but not the other.  This is not possible.  Exclusions can be created for the Virtual Device, and this exclusion then applies for all the Route Groups in that Virtual Device.

If you want one Route Group that obeys an exclusion, and a second Route Group that ignores the same exclusion, then one way to do this would be to create two individual Virtual Devices; the first Virtual Device configured with exclusions, the second not.

By the way, you can do this using the aforementioned Excel import/export feature.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have further questions!

Chad Erickson

Switch Product Support Engineer

NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,158 Views)
Thanks !  I'll give that a shot.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,153 Views)

Hey Chad, After I looked at your explanation in more depth and started thinking about Sw Exec I think its meant for something more complex than I'm using it for. All I did was create a Virtual Name for all my relays in MAX. I then created a "route" for each of those relays. com1 to ch1 for example. I probably could have done this directly in Teststand w/o MAX. When you asked if I closed 2 to 4 relays at the same time would it be a connection between ch.'s the answer is yes. But I don't think SW Exe knows that. I tell it to close, say, Ch1 ( com 1 to ch1 alias) and then close Ch2 ( com 0 to ch2 alias) which in some cases is REAL bad. I don't have the route called out between Ch1 to Ch2. There isn't one. I just don't want those 2 relays closed at the same time. Does SW EXEC do an evaluation based on Exclusions?? Does it know that I inadvertently ( in Teststand) said to close 2 relays that I never wanted to close at the same time?? This has happened to me already that is why I'm looking into Exclusions. I think SW Exec is better suited for MUX rather than relays

Would I be better calling National?

Thanks,

Clint

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,150 Views)

Hi Clint,

You can contact NI Support to obtain a dedicated Applications Engineer for your questions, which may result in faster replies.   

The following is in reference to your comment: "When you asked if I closed 2 to 4 relays at the same time would it be a connection between ch.'s the answer is yes. But I don't think SW Exe knows that."

You can inform Switch Executive of external connections by creating a "hardwire" within the Switch Executive configuration.  For example, as shown in the attached picture, if a hardwire existed between com0 and com1, and ch0->com0 and ch6->com1 were connected, then Switch Executive would recognize the connection between ch0 and ch6.  Assuming a mutual exclusion exists that includes ch0 and ch6, Switch Executive will not allow both the ch0->com0 and ch6->com1 connections.

Hardwire and Exclusion

Hope this helps!

Chad Erickson

Switch Product Support Engineer

NI - USA

Message Edited by Chad PSE on 02-17-2009 11:12 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,124 Views)