Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to obtain 16 x 64 configuration using PXI-2532 switch

Hello,

We have a PXI 1042 chasis with PXI-8106 microcontroller and PXI-2532 switch. With this switch and NI TB-2641 we are able to configure the system as 8 x 64 switch. We would like to configure switch as 16 x 64 matrix . After some research I found out that we might need to use two PXI-2532 switches to acheive this. My question is let us suppose we configure two switches as 8 x 32 matrices then how can one switch access the elements on the other switch (In order to make this 16 x 64)? Is this possible ?What are the available alternatives?

Thanks,

kartik

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,481 Views)

Hi Kartik,

We have a really great developer zone article on combining switches, I think you'll find most the information your looking for in there.

Matrix Switch Expansion Guide

I also found the following screen shot in the NI switches help.

2641.JPG

It looks like this would be easiest if you had the TB 2642, which would allow you to do column expansion with two 8x64 setups (to make a 16x64).

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Scott M.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,475 Views)

Thanks for the information. I have read the document that you have forwarded. My understanding is that if we buy another NI switch 2532 and TB-2641 and connect the columns together we can expand the 8 x 64 to 16 x 64 matrix. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

kartik

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,468 Views)

Hi Kartik,

No correction needed, I think you've got the right idea.

Have a great day

Scott M.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,463 Views)

Hi Scott,

I was looking for row expansion cables for PXi 2532 and I could not find them. I could only see the column expansion cables. When I read the specifications I observed that TB 2641 is Designed to facilitate column expansion with dual row connections. I did not see any specification regarding the row expansion capability. Does that mean it does not have row expansion capability?

Thanks,

kartik

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,460 Views)

Hi Kartik,

You are correct we don't have row expansion cables for sale, this is why I suggested column expansion with two 2642's would be easier. You can see that the 2641 (and the 2641) has two row headers, this allows for easy column expansion. In order to do row expansion you would actually have to wire each column together manually from your SCB connector block (this is not recommended but is possible).

So to summarize:

Two 2642's with column expansion using our column expansion cables. (recommended)

or

Two 2641's with row expansion manually wiring the columns together.

I hope that sorts everything out, let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks

Scott M.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,454 Views)

Hi Kartik,

Scott's correct that we don't sell individual row cables, but we do sell them as part of a row and column expansion kit.  Part number 779346-01.

It's listed as one of the accessories on the 2532 page.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/13774

I'd highly recommend submitting a product suggestion if you'd like to see an individual row cable for sale.  We highly value this customer feedback.

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,106 Views)