From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to integrate Ag34980-modules into ni switchexec?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Frank-L,

its working now.

Removing the checkbox "Reserved for routing" didnt help but the hint with abus1 and com1 was good.

I didnt see these names before in the list as I thought that this would be done by the driver.

Now i created a group with two routes: "1001->slot1com1" and "abus1->slot1com1".

This is executing without error. 🙂

Another question:

1. What is now the typical way when using SwitchExec under TestStand?

Should i create prefined routegroups for all available channels? (2muxes x 20channels x 4 Abuses =  160 groups for voltage-measurements with only one abus + the same if i want to use 2 abuses for a 4wire-measurement?)

Or is more typical to just the "MyLogicalName/1001->slot1com1"-syntax with multiple comma-separated routes?

2. In Teststand i first have to select the VirtualDevice-name that is create in Switchexec. Now i have a Logical-name that links to a driver-session with 8 modules. Is it possible for a clearer view to create now 8 virtual devices and only create routes for this module inside of this virtual device? For example i could name the VirtualDevices "Slot1..Slot8" and would have faster access to the routes inside of this module. Is this a normal way? Or should i create all routes in only one virtual-device?

Thx

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(3,245 Views)

OnlyOne,

1. What is now the typical way when using SwitchExec under TestStand?

Should i create prefined routegroups for all available channels? (2muxes x 20channels x 4 Abuses =  160 groups for voltage-measurements with only one abus + the same if i want to use 2 abuses for a 4wire-measurement?)

Or is more typical to just the "MyLogicalName/1001->slot1com1"-syntax with multiple comma-separated routes?

I think it really depends on the needs of the system. I would say that in my opinion, MOST customers using TestStand would probably pre-define their route groups ahead of time. This makes configuring the TestStand steps easier, and reduces the likelyhood of syntactical and runtime errors. It also helps with self-documentation of code as you can reference an export of the configuration.

2. In Teststand i first have to select the VirtualDevice-name that is create in Switchexec. Now i have a Logical-name that links to a driver-session with 8 modules. Is it possible for a clearer view to create now 8 virtual devices and only create routes for this module inside of this virtual device? For example i could name the VirtualDevices "Slot1..Slot8" and would have faster access to the routes inside of this module. Is this a normal way? Or should i create all routes in only one virtual-device?

I am unaware of how the Ag34980 system works. It shoulds like you normally open an IVI session to the chassis itself that contains the 8 modules correct?

If this is correct than I think you would NOT be able to have multiple NI Switch Executive Virtual Devices in TestStand talking to the same chassis. This is because with TestStand, it assumes that you will continually be using the session to the VirtualDevice and does not close references until after the sequence completes. I have written a description of why it might NOT work.

1. In a TestStand Step we want to close routes. This will open Switch Executive session to VirtualDevice1 which opens IVI session to "LogicalName". 
  2. Routes are closed.
  3. Step completes and Switch Executive session remains open.
  4. Several steps later, we open a new Switch Executive session to VirtualDevice2 which attempts to open IVI session to "LogicalName". At this point IVI would destroy the already open session to LogicalName, open a new session and call reset (opening any routes)
  5. (If we assume that reseting is OK, we still have issues.) When we attempt to do something again with VirtualDevice1, TestStand is not aware that IVI destroyed the underlying session and will error out stating that the session handle is invalid.

I hope that this helps.

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(3,242 Views)

Hi Frank-L,

yes it is one chasis with 8 modules inside.

i tested it with simulation-mode and there it opens a session for each virtualdevice after first start of testplan.

The session is closed when closing the execution-tab of teststand.

If the execution-tab remains open and i restart (F5) then the already opened session is used (no second OpenSession in I/O-Trace appears)

The only question is now: Does the OpenSession reset all 8 modules in the chasis?

I think this can only be clear if using real hardware.

Screenshot I/O-Trace

BR

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(3,229 Views)

OnlyOne,

Does the OpenSession reset all 8 modules in the chasis?

The function call "niSE_OpenSession" calls "IviSwtch_InitWithOptions" with the resetDevice parameter set to true. So assuming that the Ag34980 follows IviSwtch protocol it will reset the device (and presumably reset all modules, opening all connections).

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
Message 14 of 15
(3,221 Views)

Hi Frank-L,

I just tested it with real hardware and it is as you said.

As soon as the first call to the second VirtualDevice is executed the mainframe is reset and previously closed switches are opened.

http://up.picr.de/23805484gc.jpg

Lines 1..43 are the first switch (using VirtualDevice Tisch), the rest is the second switch (using VirtualDevice Tisch2).

Tisch and Tisch2 have the same DriverSession.

Too bad that i cannot use this way to create something like a filter.

Now i have to prefix all routes with Slot1..Slot8.

BR

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(3,216 Views)