Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect 3 endpoints to 1 reserved row

Solved!
Go to solution
Is it possible to set up a route group in MAX that connects 3 endpoints to a single row of a 4x128 matrix card that has been reserved for routing?

I need to have all four rows set as reserved for routing so I can set all my other route groups up by specifing endpoints.

Thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,330 Views)

Hi Jason,

Is it possible to have 3 rows set as reserved for routing and to connect the 3 endpoints to the remaining row?

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,327 Views)
No, I need all four for other route groups.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,325 Views)

Hi Jason,

Are you using NI Switch Executive 3.0?  This version supports the sharing of route legs.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1059/lang/en

Hope this helps!

Chad Erickson

NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,323 Views)
Unfortunetly I'm using Switch Executive 2.3. Is my only option not to reserve any rows for routing and connect each column endpoint to a specific row?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,320 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jason1

Hi Jason,

I'm assuming that you're using NI-Switch 2.3.  To my knowledge, NI Switch Executive was only released with the following versions: 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1, 2.1.1, 3.0.

The option you listed is not your only option, but it is the option that I recommend for prior versions of NI Switch Executive.  Remember that you can use Route Groups to store the separate row to column connections so that only one connect call is required.

An additional option you have is to use two NI Switch Executive Virtual Devices.  One Virtual Device has the PXI-2532 rows reserved for routing and the other Virtual Device doesn't.  Each time you want to connect multiple columns to the same row, you could close the session to the "reserved for routing" Virtual Device and open a session to the other Virtual Device (where you connect multiple column endpoints to the same row).  Note that you cannot have sessions open to both Virtual Devices at the same time because they would attempt to share the same hardware.

Is upgrading to NI Switch Executive 3.0 a possibility?  There are two additional features you would enjoy:

• Intuitive Graphical Configuration Utility
  1. Graphical point-and-click configuration environment - enables rapid development of switch systems
  2. Edit Channel Aliases in place
  3. Build complex routing groups by clicking on matrix crosspoints one at-a-time
  • Microsoft Excel Import/Export
  1. Easily export NI Switch Executive configuration into Microsoft Excel environment
  2. Increase channel count through simple text manipulation
  3. Easily import newly edited files back into NI Switch Executive   

It would be great if upgrading were an option.  Let me know if you have further questions!

Chad Erickson

NI - USA

Message 6 of 7
(7,317 Views)
Thanks for the quick response and laying out multiple available options.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,312 Views)