From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when intializing PXI-2567 Hardware

I get an error when initializing my hardware(PXI-2567). The error is related to the source name. When I input the source name same as that found in the Measurment Explorer, which is in this case PXI4::11::INST, I get an error that the source does not exist. However, it does work with no errors if I input the source name as PXI1Slot17. How can I use the name PXI4::11::INST instead with out errors ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,171 Views)
Hi CAN Programmer,

You cannot use the PXI4::11::INSTR resource descriptor because using it opens a VISA session to the instrument.  Using this initialization technique only allows you access to Traditional DAQ functionality.  The Independent Topology of the PXI-2567 needs functionality beyond that provided by Traditional DAQ, and therefore initialization requires the use of the DAQmx resource descriptor (PXI1Slot17).  May I ask why you want to use PXI4::11::INSTR as the resource descriptor?  There may be another workaround for what you are attempting to accomplish.

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,165 Views)
The reason I am trying to do it this way is because I am trying to add the PXI-2567 intialization to an existing software where all the other instruments are referred to using the names PXI3::17::INST. I want to make it the same as the others for easy maintinance if the software was to be looked at by some one else.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,161 Views)

Hi CAN Programmer,

I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause, but the PXI-2567 will only initialize correctly if you use the DAQmx resource name displayed in MAX.  You can rename the PXI-2567's DAQmx resource name to one of your choosing, but it cannot match the VISA (PXI) resource name of PXI4::11::INSTR.  I can think of only one workaround in order to maintain the same syntax for all your instruments' device descriptors, and that is to convert them all to DAQmx resource names.  Unfortunately, this may not be possible to do.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,150 Views)