Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing IVI Logical Name for switch products

HI,

I need to import a complete NISE configuration define with more than 100 Routes/RouteGroups.
I want to adapt this configuration to new devices defined in IVI Drivers Configuration Manager with different logical names.

How can I change the Hardware Devices names (IVI Logical Name) in NISE without changing names "manually" in the xml file before importing it ?

Emmanuel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,094 Views)
E. Boivin,

We have something exactly for you. NISE 2.1 has a new feature where you can programmatically access your NISE config. There are two ways you can do what you want with NISE 2.1:

1) Import the NISE config into NISE 2.1. With the Example GenerateExcelReport.xls you can download you configuration into Excel. There you can Find/Replace on all the workbook your old IVI logical name by the new one. Save you xls file but do ynot close it. Launch the other example ImportFromExcel.xls. From there you can import your new xls file into an NISE config. You need to delete the original NISE config in order to import the new one. If you want to give a new name to the NISE config, you can change the name in the A1 cell on all 7 tabs of the Excel file.

2) In labVIEW you can use the example in \Program Files\National Instruments\<LabVIEW>\examples\SwitchExecutive\NISECfgExamples.llb called Configuration Management.vi to see how you can access the information in the NISE config. You could read all channel names, devices etc and replace them with the new logical name.

I hope that helps.

Guy Ferraro
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,078 Views)

Thank you for these elements,

Il will test today the capabilities of "GenerateExcelReport.xls" from NISE2.1.

I have opened "Configuration Management.vi" in LabVIEW 8.0 to be inspired for NISE Method and Properties use but I can't access to "IVIDevice.name" ! I hope it can be possible to access this property in read/write mode. Could you explain me what is wrong please ?

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,071 Views)

Hello Guy,

We have used the example "GenerateExcelReport.xls", modified the IviDevice names, exported to NISE the new configuration with "ImportFromExcel.xls" and then tested the new configuration (validation).

Unfortunately the new configuration is badly recomposed with [???]...[???] routes ; so it is unusable !

To summarize, the initial solution : "I change the Hardware Devices names (IVI Logical Name) "manually" in the xml file (with replace tool in notepad) before importing it" seems to be better but not really "elegant" !

Do you notice the same effects ?

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,059 Views)
The routes should never show "???" since they should have been replaced with the new name during the find and replace in Excel. Once the NISE config is downloaded to Excel, you need to do a find and replace on the WHOLE workbook in order to change the old logical name to the new one for every tab. I agree what we are doing in Excel can also be done on an xml file.

I am glad you were able to find a  way.

Guy Ferraro
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA  

Message Edited by Guy Ferraro on 02-24-2006 02:58 PM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,057 Views)

Hello Guy,

"[...] Once the NISE config is downloaded to Excel, you need to do a find and replace on the WHOLE workbook in order to change the old logical name to the new one for every tab."

==> That's what I have done on two different examples, but when I try to check the new configuration done, I notice some [???] in place of the previous valid routes ! I think there is a problem with the XL macro.

Regards,

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,049 Views)

First I am assuming the route names in the Excel file do not show "???" after find and replace and before teh import from Excel. If once imported they do show "???" it means that NISE dose not recognize the channel names used in the routes.
The procedure I described in previously will work if you are ONLY changing the logical name. This means that the 2 device driver need to be identical, the topology has to be the exact same one so the channels for the new logical device will not differ from the old one.

To verify the procedure I created two logical names pointing to the same device driver (so I can make sure the channels are exactly the same). I then created a NISE vd with one logical name, I created some routes, imported the NISE vd into Exel, find and replace the old logical name by the new one, change the A1 cell on all tabs (to change the NISE vd name) and reimport the new config into MAX. I can confirm that the routes do not show "???" in the new imported NISE vd.

My guess is that there is something different between the old device driver session pointed to by the old logical name and the new one pointed to by the new logical name that prevents the two configurations to have the exact same channel names      

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,039 Views)