Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I setup NISE with a third party switch - if the switch is not installed?

Solved!
Go to solution

I've never used NI Switch Executive before - we're hoping to use it on a new project.

We have no hardware at the moment - we will be using a Pickering 40-540-021 '132x4' switch.

I would like to setup NI Switch Executive before we have the Pickering cards delivered, is this possible? I'm getting an error when I create the NI Switch Executive Virtual Device. Seems that MAX is trying to communicate with the switch card before allowing me to configure routes/exclusions/groups etc.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Installed the Pickering drivers.

- In MAX (v5) I have setup an IVI driver session and logical name.

When I attempt to create an new NI Switch Executive Virtual Device, I add the switch logical name, click [next] and get the NISE error...

"An error has occurred while attempting to access device PROJECTSWITCH. Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA400C) Unknown status code.

I see that a virtual device is created with no logical switches assigned. I get the same error if I try and manually add a logical switch to the NISE Virtual Device.

Is this because the switch card is not fitted to the system? Can I configure the switch routing/groups/exclusions without the device being physically fitted?

Thanks

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,255 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AlanKnowler

Alan.

Seems that MAX is trying to communicate with the switch card before allowing me to configure routes/exclusions/groups etc.

This should be expected behavior. NI Switch Executive tries to communicate with the instrument before allowing you to configure routes to ensure that there are no issues that would affect the operation of Switch Executive. In your case the driver is trying to communicate with a non-existent device. 

I would like to setup NI Switch Executive before we have the Pickering cards delivered, is this possible? Can I configure the switch routing/groups/exclusions without the device being physically fitted?

This is possible in that all IVI compatible devices should have the ability to be simulated. 

It sounds like you have configured your IVI driver session incorrectly for a simulated device. I would try and ensure that within the driver session, under the "General" tab, select the pulldown for "Simulate With" and select "Specific Driver" and then click "Save IVI Configuration". This will reference the Pickering driver selected in the "Software Tab" and simulate a device. This should allow you to create an NI Switch Executive virtual device, and develop and test code on the simulated instruments.

Let me know if you have any other issues. 

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
Message 2 of 3
(6,247 Views)

Frank. I thought I tried that - but now realise that I set the wrong Driver Session to simulate (set up the pi40ivSample rather than my real target).

Works a treat.

Thank you for your very fast response.

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,242 Views)