Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Switch Executive 3.0 updates or tips ?

Hi,

We're using Switch Executive 3.0 along with Labview 8.6,2009 and Teststand 3.5 - 4.2.

Our past experience has taught us to be patient whilst in the Switch Executive route editor

but I have to say enough is enough.

The time delays and problems seem to be worse as products have been updated, in particular:

1. Cannot delete virtual devices:

Have to rename the virtual device to simulate deletion.

The virtual device is "emptied of routes" by the "Delete" option, all except

Route 0, and the virtual device remains listed.

2. Labview generates an exception error while deleting or just selecting a different

virtual device from list of devices.

3. Unable to rename virtual device.

I'm aware of KnowledgeBase link: 4GA9TOQA: What is the process for removing MAX

database corruption.

Are there any other useful links or updates which will help smooth the use of the Switch Executive application ?

thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,008 Views)

Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear you're having performace and usability issues with Switch Executive.  Can you elaborate on the performance delays you're experiencing while you're in the route editor?  What specifically would you like to see optimized?  We value this feedback and are always trying to improve performance. 

On the usability side:

1. When you follow the instructions in KB 4GA9TOQA, does this temporarily resolve the incorrect behavior?  Are you experiencing this issue on multiple machines?  Which version of Measurement and Automation do you have installed?  We've seen this issue before when using MAX 4.3.  Also, which version of Windows are you running?

2. Are there any specific error codes generated when the exception error occurs?  Screen shots of the steps that result in this error could be useful in identifying the source of the error.  Do we experience consistent issues during runtime?

3.  If you right click on the device, can you select 'Rename'?  If so, does anything happen?

2010-02-23_143439.png

Overall, it sounds like we're experiencing a database corruption issue.  With your permission, I'd like to contact you via email to discuss further troubleshooting steps in more detail.

Message Edited by Knights Who Say NI on 02-23-2010 02:45 PM
-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,999 Views)

Hi John,

Here are a few answers to your questions:

1. When you follow the instructions in KB 4GA9TOQA, does this temporarily resolve the incorrect behavior?

-it does indeed. To be specific when I revert to using config3.mxs.bak as config3.mxs the situation is corrected.

2. Are you experiencing this issue on multiple machines?

-there are 2 other people on different PCs who have trouble deleting Virtual Devices entirely, the standard fix is to rename.

This is a problem which goes back to the days when we first used Teststand 3.0, about 5 years ago. 

3. Which version of Measurement and Automation do you have installed?

-we are using version 4.6 .

4. which version of Windows are you running?

-we are using : XP Professional, version 2002, Service Pack 3 

-PC specification: Pentium(R) 4 (3 GHz) fitted with 3 GB memory

5. Are there any specific error codes generated when the exception error occurs?

- I will forward these when they happen again.

6. Screen shots of the steps that result in this error could be useful in identifying the source of the error. 

Do we experience consistent issues during runtime?

-my original issue is with the Switch Executive editor, but having said that, my Virtual Device has

just lost the route details (start/end points) of a route, this was reported while running the

Teststand sequence. Its as though the Max database is picking up more and more corruption.

I'll forward the error dialogue box next time it happens.

7. If you right click on the device, can you select 'Rename'?  If so, does anything happen?

-this is how we overcome the "not deleting" problem. Sometimes renaming takes 2-3 tries.

8. I'd like to contact you via email to discuss further troubleshooting steps in more detail.

-that would be great. I assume you have access to my profile/contact details.

Many thanks for taking an interest.

Gary.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,983 Views)