Student Projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raman spectroscopy combined with a Moving Stage for application in two dimensional imaging 2012 USA

Contact Information

University: University of Texas at Dallas

Team Member(s): Qiang Li; Blake Wilson

Faculty Advisors:None

Email Address:qxl103120@utdallas.edu

Project Information

Title: Raman Spectroscopy combined with a Moving Stage for Application in Two Dimensional Imaging
Description: There is an increasing demand for brand new instruments in the areasof chemistry, as well as biology: These instrument could be regarded as eyes used to gain greater knowledge of the world. Briefly, our work is connecting a two-dimensional moving stage (SEIKI, made in Japan) with Raman spectroscopy controlled by Labview software through DAQ. The data is output by BWSpec software and after a small java program and Matlab to generate two-dimensional images. The images obtained through this method will allow for the study of surface chemistry of various materials.

图片1.png

Figure 1: Application of the Raman Spectroscopy combined with moving stage 1) Analysis of the organic solar cell active layer donor (P3HT), as well as acceptor (PCBM) distribution. The morphogy plays a key role in power conversion efficiency (PCE); 2) the instrument could study the surface distribution of organic dyes in artwork such as an oil painting; Understanding the dye distrubution could lead to effective protection and reproduction of artistic masterpieces. 3) The moving stage has potential to be connected with microscopy.

Products:

NI hardware: NI USB 6008

NI software: Labview 8.5

Other Software and hardware:

SEIKI Moving stage

Raman Spectroscopy (BWTec Corp.)

Two five-phase stepper motor driver

Power supply

BW Spec software

Java

Matlab

The Challenge:

The goal of this project is to combine a 2-d moving stage with commercially available Raman spectroscopy hardware for

the development of a system to conduct surface chemical mapping.

The Solution:

Device Design and Construction

图片2.png

Figure 2 Flow diagram of instrument arrangement

图片3.png

Figure 3: The picture of the whole instrument setup.

图片4.png

Figure 4: The stepper motor drive and DAQ.

图片5.png图片6.png

Figure 5 The Moving Stage                                                                                                                           Figure 6 The external trigger in Raman CCD

Signal Acquisition

1) Moving stage Scheme

F

Graph1(1).JPG

Figure 7 "S" type Mapping method

For a demonstration of the S type moving please check the video in the attachment. In the video, the Y axis motor will only move for once followed by the X axis motor moving back and forth.

2) Control panel and Labview coding and screen of BWSpec Screen

图片7.jpg 图片8.jpg图片9.jpg

We are still working on the optimization of the control panel to implement new mapping modes like "Z" type or manual moving (by typing the axis). Normally, we have intergration time to match the Raman Spectroscopy, Moving Speed, X,Y axis Moving Distance.

3) Output

图片10.jpg

Figure 8 Output of txt files

4) Moving Stage Calibration

图片11.jpg图片12.jpg
  Figure 9 Moving Stage Calibration Code                                                                                                    Figure 10 Moving Stage Calibration Control panel

Calibration Table

PulseMoving Distance(mm)

From the table above we could get one pulse (one step of the moving stage) to an accuracy of 2.048 micron.

Sample Prepartion

The organic solar cell film was prepared by using pure P3HT (Mw=100000) and PCBM through an 8K spin coat method onto the surface of ITO glass. In addition, we carried out measurements of Sulfur distribution in the glass because Sulfur has a strong Raman signal.

Data Proccessing

1) Java Program

Capture5.PNGCapture.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture2.PNG

Different compounds have specific Raman signals. In this Java program you could input the peak position or an acceptable range for the peak(enviromental factors often lead to small deviations in peak position). This program can provide peak intensity information.

2) Raman Spectrum and 2-D imaging by Matlab

图片1.png图片2.png

Future Plan

We will optimize the labview coding to get close-loop program to get feedback information. Moreover, we will functionalize the coding to gain different scanning modes. We would like to have the moving stage scan some oil painting to get dye distribution in a large scale area. In a small scale area we hope to map the cell and use the Raman spectrum to draw contour images of the cellular membrane.

We are preparing for final examinations, so unfortunately the work has been stopped. Hopefully, we will pass our courses and won't have to retake them this fall. God be with everyone in our Advanced Inorganic course. 

Acknowledgments

I would like to thank Professor Weiqing Xu and Phd Haibo Li who introduced me to this interesting field.

I would also like to thank the Xu group for their guidance in this work. I'd like to submit this work in commemoration of my undergraduate life at Jilin Universtiy.

I would like to thank the Wenjing Tian's group member Phd Zhaoyang Liu who provided the organic solar cell film as well as give my thanks to the whole group for teaching me an enormous amount when I participated in an undergraduate innovation program.

As the club president I would like to thank the Crazy Instruments members for their support, especially the club supervisor Dr. Steven Nielsen and the club vice president Blake Wilson.

I would like to thank the freshman Douc at UTD who provided some work in the Java programming.

Finally I would like to thank all my friends and the people who take time read all our work.

Comments
Xiaoqiang2012
on

I will upload the Labview coding after final exam. Thank you very much

joycity22
on

Perfect projects!

dabaicai2020
on

quite interesting and useful!

tameikidust
on

Combined with solar cells, excellent device.

BguyUTD
on

Really cool project! I believe this could be a very useful analytical tool.

Win34
on

Good job

kyh
on

very good

舟楫鞍马
on

nice

pc1000a
on

perfect!

Xiaoqiang2012
on

Updated with Labview program. Although pass the courses, I was kicked out by my boss. Sad story

jackiewong
on

great work and i help this could be optimizated later

Guantuan
on

Great work ever see

chusky
on

能不能加你QQ 343719834

Contributors