Student Projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Student Design Competition 2014: <Remote control of a miabot soccer robot>

Contact Information

University: Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland

Team Members (with year of graduation): Maxime Voisin-Denoual (2014)

Project Supervisor: Mr Donal O'Donovan

Email Address: donal.odonovan@cit.ie

Project Information

Title: Remote control of a soccer robot

Robot.jpg

Description:  Control of a soccer robot using a joystick and serial communication in labview. Send the information to the  robot using a bluetooth server. This project is part of a robot soccer general project.

Robotsoccer.jpg

Robot soccer project

Products:    NI Labview, promi MSP, promi LSD

The Challenge:  The challenge was to deal with all the elements, joystick, string generation, serial communication and bluetooth server.

The Solution:

The idea was to create a program in Labview, which could generate a command string from a joystick input, and then send the information to a serial port. The communication with the robot is made using a bluetooth server. The robot is wired to a virtual serial port using a software which create virtual COM ports.

Proposed solution.jpg

Proposed Solution

Dataflow.jpg

Data Flow

Labview is a powerful tool for programmation. It was ideal in this case because of the various types of technologies involved (joystick,  serial communication).

Attach Poster

Remote control miabot robot - Main VI.jpg

Main VI - Joystick + String generation + Visa communication

Remote control miabot robot - Main SUB VI.jpg

SubVI - String Generation

Front panel.jpg

Front Panel

Nominate Your Professor

Mr Donal O'Donovan, Cork Institute of Technology, Cork, Ireland

Comments
RER
NI Employee (retired)
on

Sounds very interesting. Thanks for submitting. I would love to see some images or video footage of the robot in action. Perhaps you could post them as part of your submission.

Rich Roberts
Senior Marketing Engineer, National Instruments
Connect on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-roberts-4176a27b/
RER
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi Maxime, I was wondering if you had plans to elaborate on your interesting project submission in a more detail? Further information on this soccar robot and its capabilities would be useful. Was the joystick just used for movement... or was it also able to instruct the robot to kick? You mentioned that LabVIEW "was ideal in this case because of the various types of technologies involved" - could you be a little more specific? What features of LabVIEW helped integrate these technologies?

Rich Roberts
RatchetandClank
on

Hi RER,

I add the report I wrote for this project. I guess you will find the answers your are looking for.

If you have any futher question, please write another comment.

Sorry I cannot put any video, I don't have any access to the robots anymore. They are the same robots as the ones in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUZravRuRP0

RER
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi Maxime, thanks for posting your report. It does add clarity.

To put your self in the best possible position for the competition, I would recommend adding some more useful details (and possibly images) to your actual submission - even if that simply means cutting and pasting relevent details from your report. The judges are likely to have a lot of submissions to review, so I would not expect them to read an entire report. Just some friendly advice

I image that you are very busy with exams right now... but you have until the end of the month before judging begins.

Rich Roberts
RatchetandClank
on

Hi RER,

I hope it is better like this, thank you for your friendly advice .

Contributors