Software Defined Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting Geographical Position on Google Maps using NI USRP-293x and NI LabVIEW

This is an example code to show how to use the NI USRP 1.2 driver and the integrated GPS circuit on NI USRP 293x devices to acquire GPS data

Google.png

Hardware Requirements:

NI USRP 293x

GPS antenna with an SMA connector

Software Requirements:

LabVIEW 2012 (32-bit)

NI-USRP 1.2 Driver

Connections And VI Description:

For this VI to work,  a GPS signal/antenna must be connected to the SMA connector on the rear of the NI USRP-293x device.

The center frequency need to be adjusted to be compatible with the frequency range of the NI USRP used.

IQ rate, Active Antenna, and Gain settings will not affect how this VI works. However, they can be used if the user chooses to add a TX or RX functionality to this VI.

Download All
Comments
Asimnud
on

From the description, it looks really helpful.
The labview file looks to be in newer version of 2012. It would be great if the zipped labview file could be available for labview 2011.

Thank you

FarrisA
NI Employee (retired)
on

LV 2011 Version is added

dana.nemes
on

Hello!

I tried to run this example, but it doesn't show me anything.I'm using an Usrp 2932.I set the carrier freq at 1.5G.

Can you help me to make it work?Please!!!!

This is how it looks like:

Capture.PNG

FarrisA
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hello Dana.

Besides the blank map, I see that you have an error message. "The GPS did not Lock within the alloted time"

Do you have a GPS signal/antenna connected to the SMA connector on the back of the USRP?

If you are sure that you have a GPS signal, increase the GPS fix timeout time to 300. Also, try running the code multiple times to make sure that you are giving the device enough time to lock to the GPS signal

Finally, for the map to display properly, you need to have the host computer connected to the internet.

dana.nemes
on

Hy!

Thank you because you answer to me so fast.

I have a little antenna (it has only around 10cm) and is connected to the SMA connector and also the host computer si connected to the internet.Maybe the antenna is my problem.It is an omnidirectional antenna.

I tried what you suggest me, but it didn't work.

Can you tell me exactly what type of antenna you use?

Thank you again!

FarrisA
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hello Dana,

The GPS antenna should have a clear view of the sky, and as mentioned earlier connected to the Backplane of the USRP

USRP Front and Back Panel.png

Any antenna that covers the 1.5 GHz frequency should work for you. A simple Google search for GPA antennas will get you many hits, and some with active antennas that have some built in amplification.

The key thing is that the antenna should have a clear view of the sky.

ErikL
NI Employee (retired)
on

Search for GPS antenna with an SMA connector.  If you select an active antenna, we recommend a 3 volt rating.

We have used the:  66800-52 from Trimble

http://www.trimble.com/embeddedsystems/pdf/022542-024_GPS_Antenna_DS_1210_US_LR.pdf

alinushh
on

Hi there,

From what I read in the specifications, USRP 1.2 driver provides only GPS Sentence GGA and GPS Sentence RMC properties. I would like to use an USRP 2932 for plotting other information such as SV PRN, azimuth, elevation degree and so on, but for that I need the GPS Sentence GSV property. Do you have any recommandations?

Thanks!

psisterhen
NI Employee (retired)
on

Unfortunately, it looks like the GPS receiver doesn't return the GSV string.

http://www.jackson-labs.com/assets/uploads/main/firefly_1A_manual.pdf

Check through Section 3.3 in that datasheet and see if you can get the information you need from the other strings.  It's possible we could add support for other strings to the driver at some point, but it appears GSV simply isn't available.

jungqjungq
on

Does this VI work with 6682 GPS timing module? Please let me know.

FarrisA
NI Employee (retired)
on

This VI does not work with he 6682 GPS timing module, because the 6682 using a different LabVIEW driver (NI Sync).

However, you might be able to utilize the Google plotting aspect of this VI in your application.

Danan
on

Hi,I run your code on my computer and I find that sometimes the GPS Time displays like 12:17:53:345 2006/1/1 which is not the real time at the moment.

Do you know why and how to correct it? Thank you.

machin78
on

You can use your application in the USRP-2920? GLL sentence can also read

ErikL
NI Employee (retired)
on

This app reads the gps position from an integrated gpsdo. So a 2920 will

not work out of the box. 293x devices and 295x devices have the gpsdo.

Morteza2017
on

I want to make program that not using gps. It uses geographical position that gets from GSM board.

when the GSM give the geographical position the program in this point magniphy and showing this point. 

could anyone help me?