Smartphones, Tablets, and Mobile Devices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Name/ IP Address for Data Dashboard

Hi I have a VI for controlling some hardware via NI communication modules and c-RIO using ethernet. The P.C. with the VI doesn't have a configuration for WiFi connection. However, my Windows 8 Surface RT supports only WiFi. I want to use Data Dashboard for LabView and connect to the my the V.I's indicators using shared variables. What should I enter for Server Name/ IP Address? The P.C. is connected through the local company server. Its IP/Server Name doesn't seem to work on the RT. Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(7,982 Views)

Hi shreya,

Are your local Ethernet and WiFi networks on the same internal network? If the two devices are on the same network, you should be able to open a command prompt on the Windows RT tablet and ping the PC by its IP address. If you cannot reach the PC with a ping, either they are on a different network or there is something preventing communication between the two, like a firewall.

If you can ping the PC, make sure you are deploying Network Shared Variables in LabVIEW for the values you wish to see in Data Dashboard. You can verify that these variables are working by clicking Tools>>Distributed System Manager in LabVIEW. The variables should appear under your local system and update based on your LabVIEW code.

It sounds like you have already tried the basic steps to get started, but here is a link to the Getting Started guide in case you have any questions.

Zach P.

Staff Software Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,295 Views)

Hi turns out both the devices are on a different internal network. Is there still a way I can connect them through shared variables via Dashboard?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,295 Views)

Can you please tell me what the network requirements are for connecting the labview program shared variable to data dashboard on remote hand-held device? (tablets/ mobile phones)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,295 Views)

The device and computer will need to connect to each other over a network somehow. Any situation where you can ping one device from the other should work for connecting to shared variables.

Since there is a wired and wireless network, you could have the two networks connected to a common router or switch. For example, if you have a main router that provides an Internet connection, you could connect both a wireless switch and the wired Ethernet connection to that router to have a shared network.

Zach P.

Message 5 of 15
(3,295 Views)

Hi

I am trying to connect my tablet to laptop via shared variables. But Tablet report an error. Please see the details below. Any advice will appreciate.

Thanks

Hong

Connection error.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,295 Views)
Highlighted

This is most likely a firewall issue. Check out this troubleshooting page: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-19388

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,295 Views)

I agree about the firewall issue. It will be very straightforward otherwise.

Ashish Uttarwar
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,295 Views)

Hi

I have a related problem and hopefully someone can give me some advice.

I have downloaded the  Data Dashboard Demo (DataDashboard_Demo.lvproj) and is running this on my local pc. On my IPAD have have installed version Dashboard v.2.2.1 and downloaded the Demo dashboard from NI Cloud. I am able to connect to the Web Resources defined in the project (Freq.vi,Graph.vi and Stop.vi) on my PC. No errors when connections the  web resources  to the graph and the two controls defined in the dashboard (all green) using the IP of my computer. I have checked that I have the correct port open (8080) and this is verified by third party app from my IPAD. Also a ping from my IPAD is sucessfull. I get no error messages when running the Dashboard but the problem is that no data shows up, and using the controls gives no effect. Noe errors or warnings pops up.

I was assuming a firewall problem but since I have a connection between my pc and the IPAD when defining the controls I'm not sure.  I probably miss some important settings but can't see what's wrong ?? Any idea

Thanks

Klaus

Message 9 of 15
(3,295 Views)

Hi kt, are you able to see the data correctly by opening the web service in a browser on your PC?

Zach P.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,295 Views)