Smartphones, Tablets, and Mobile Devices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few queries about Data Dashboard for LabVIEW for Windows Surface RT

Solved!
Go to solution

1) I found out that Dashboard on Windows RT doesn't support arrays. However I want to display a variable on a graph varying with current time on Dashboard. On the main LabVIEW VI it is passed as an array (which is generated from a single numeric indicator in a while loop). So, while deploying the variables, do I deploy the numeric indicator or ? How do I make the time available on the Dashboard graph?

2) Does dashboard support multiple tabs? If yes, if on the main program, the tab control is in the form of a state machine (such that I can only access the 2nd page if the 1st page inputs are correct and so on), then on the Dashboard can multiple tabs be accessed simulteneously or do I have to display all the pages together?

3) The maximum number of elements on it can support is 6. Does each element correspond to a variable? If I want to use the same shared variable to be displayed in multiple fashion (i.e. meter, graph, numeric indicator, etc.) then do I have use separate elements for them?

Newbie here. Please reply to my amateur questions.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,627 Views)
This widget could not be displayed.
Solution
This widget could not be displayed.

I'm assuming that all of these questions are about the Windows 8 version of Data Dashboard.

1. Numeric values can be put in a chart, but the X axis is not precisely "time". It is an index. The polling rate is roughly constant so the index can be roughly correlated to time. However, there is no way to determine when the actual sample was acquired on the server. A stale value could be plotted multiple times. For instance, with a Shared Variable you will always see the latest value. It could be that the server has not updated that value since the last time it was polled, but it would still be plotted on the chart as a "new" data point because that was the value at the time. Think of the charts as showing the history of the latest value measured at fixed intervals, but don't think of it as showing precise time-based measurements. I hope that makes sense.

2. Data Dashboard for Windows 8 supports multiple "pages". You can add a page while the dashboard is not running by using the App Bar at the bottom of the screen. There is no way to control from the server side whether these pages are accessible. They're just different collections of variables. Only the currently visible page will be polling its variables, though.

3. Each "slot" is its own variable, but you can show the same variable in multiple slots by simply adding it multiple times. If you want to show the same data using different indicators then you would add it to multiple slots and choose a different indicator for each one. There is no support for changing the indicator type while running. You can, however, change the indicator type for a given slot while the dashboard is not running. Just tap on the slot.

Message 2 of 3
(1,736 Views)

This way Dashboard seems to have loads of drawbacks. What do you suggest would be the best solution for a VI to be available on a tablet/ any handheld device? I'm alright with just the monitoring of the data but would prefer control as well. [ The PC with the main VI is connected to hardware via c-RIO modules and communication is via Ethernet.]

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,736 Views)