Smartphones, Tablets, and Mobile Devices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Dashboard Connection

Hello everyone,

I am new to Data Dashboard. I am using the evaluation version of Labview 2014 and have downloaded the Data Dashboard for Android from the Google Play store into my Tablet. I am following the 'getting started with the data dashboard for Labview' example and encoutered a network problem.

My communication between my development PC (where my network shared variable/web services are) and the Tablet (where data dashboard is) is on a WLAN network. Since our company's WLAN network is set up such that devices cannot ping each other, I am getting 'Connection Error, Invalid server. Cannot connect to Server...' message.

I am thinking of an alternative and come to this question. Can Data Dashboard communicate with my PC through USB? If so what driver do I need to install for it to work?

I hope somebody out there can help me on this.

Yours sincerely,

hlim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,666 Views)

Hello everyone,

I have more information about my connection problem.

I am setting up an ad hoc network, and using IPad instead of Android to connect to the PC. It works better. I am able to ping the PC from the IPad and also from the PC to IPad.

I also read somewhere that I need to open ports 2343, 5000-5020, and 6000-6020. So far so good. In my data dashboard, when I tap on the Data Link and enter the IP address, it now shows me the library that contains the shared variable. When I tap on the library, it does not show me the variable. It tries to connect (presumably to the ip address) and failed with 'Connect Error, Invalid server, cannot conect to server ...' message.

Any hint on what might be the problem here?

Yours sincerely,

hlim

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,228 Views)

That sounds fishy. If you can connect to see the library you should be able to connect to see the variables. Maybe you have an unreliable connection or your iPad decided to connect to a different access point.

Data Dashboard does not support connecting over USB.

Message 3 of 6
(2,228 Views)

Thanks for the info.

I will try to test it again, making sure that all the relevant ports are opened for data dashboard Apps.

Yours sincerely,

hlim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,228 Views)

Hello everybody,

just to give you an update. My earlier problem with connection error was because of unopened port(s). I found out that in addition to ports 2343, 5000-5020, 6000-6020, I also need to open port 59111. The network shared variable method works for me now.

When using Web Services, I need to open port 8080 and 58524 for data dashboard to work.

FYI, I am running Data Dashboard Apps version 2.2 for IPad, and Version 2014 for labview.

Yours sincerely,

hlim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,228 Views)

Thanks, these port numbers opened as inbound in Win7 Firewall made the trick, thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,228 Views)