Smartphones, Tablets, and Mobile Devices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best solution for LabVIEW program on Tablet/Phone

Highlighted

Best solution for LabVIEW program on Tablet/Phone

I have this LabVIEW program for intelligent charging of Electric Vehicles (EV) which communicates with the hardware (charging station and EV) via c-RIO modules. The PC has 2 LAN cables, one connected to the internet and another to the c-RIO system. I want this program to be available on a tablet/ mobile phone (the tablet being tested for the time being is Surface RT with Windows 8 OS). I have ruled out the following options for the reasons mentioned:

1) Remote front panels: Surface doesn't support LabVIEW Run Time Engine.

2) LabVIEW Web UI Builder: Although it says that Microsoft Silverlight is supported on Windows tablet, I couldn't find anything on the RT Store.

3) LabSocket System: It's extremely expensive and only available for LabVIEW 2013. My program runs on LabVIEW 2012.

4) Webpager: I've used the trial version. Although it works for smaller VIs (with control difficulties), it doesn't show anything on the webpage for the main program (which is a state machine with multiple tabs and the tabs can only be accessed in a sequential manner). Also it works on PC but not on tablet.

There are few other options which I have few queries about:

1) Data Dashboard: It seems to be the best option so far. So, I gathered the system and the tablet should be within the same internal network. For that should I connect the c-RIO and the tablet via a common network or the PC and the tablet? will it have time lapses in graphs if I switch to and fro the pages?

2) VI Remote: Can an iPad/ iPhone/ iPod be used to remotely control the program using the VI Remote toolkit?

3) T4SM has this product called Remote Control for LabVIEW. How useful would the product be for this application? Would it be compatible with the existing tablet?

Please assist me in deiciding which the most feasible option is. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
(5,151 Views)

Re: Best solution for LabVIEW program on Tablet/Phone

Hi Shreya,

It sounds like Data Dashboard is a good solution for what you are currently trying to accomplish. It is interesting to see your run-down of other options.

One other possibility I would like to mention to you was designed for monitoring cRIO's remotely from the web. It is called Cloud Dashboard, and is currently in NI Labs (free, but still in a beta mode). Cloud Dashboard provides a polished javascript-powered UI that you can log into to see your devices. Let me know what you think:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-38359

- Joey

Joey S.
Senior Product Manager, Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,725 Views)

Things to keep in mind:

• The Windows 8 version of Data Dashboard doesn't support control at all. Only indicators are supported.
  • In the Windows 8 version charts that aren't visible don't record new data so if you switch to another page for a while and then switch back there will be a gap in the data.

Both of those issues are resolved if you use the iPad or Android tablet versions of Data Dashboard (2.x).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,725 Views)

Hi,

Have a look on www.wezarp.com .

Wezarp for NI LabVIEW allows a LabVIEW application to be controlled by a remote device such as a tablet, a smartphone or a remote computer.

iOS iPad/iPhone and Windows tablets are supported.

Best regards

Jeff from Wezarp team

Message 4 of 6
(2,725 Views)

Hi Jeff,

I'd encourage you comment on this document here in the web development community to share about Wezarp:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-41454

Best,

Joey

Joey S.
Senior Product Manager, Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,725 Views)

Hi Joey

Thank you very much for this advice.

I'm gonna comment in a minute!

For information, Wezarp for NI LabVIEW will be on the LabVIEW tools Network within 24-48h

See the following link: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/213167

Would it be possible to have a direct link from your document like the one for LabSocket for example

Best regards

Jeff

Jean-François DAVID

jf.david@appando.net

+33 607 03 42 36

Le 23 avr. 2015 à 18:59, JoeySpinella a écrit :

Community

created by JoeySpinella in Smartphones, Tablets, and Mobile Devices - View the full discussion

Hi Jeff,

I'd encourage you comment on this document here in the web development community to share about Wezarp:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-41454

Best,

Joey

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Start a new discussion in Smartphones, Tablets, and Mobile Devices by email or at Community

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,725 Views)