Smartphones, Tablets, and Mobile Devices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using Data Dashboard on a real-world application?

Anyone using Data Dashboard on a real-world application?

Everyone,

I'm interested in finding individuals that are using Data Dashboard with an actual application. Does this sound like you? I'm hoping to write a few customer success stories on Data Dashboard that show it off being used for real-world applications. The problem is that unlike traditional products that you purchase from National Instruments, I don't know who all is using Data Dashboard. The transaction happens with the App Stores so I have a raw number of people who downloaded the app but not whose using it.

Even if you would not like to be in a NI Case Study (great free publicity), I would still love to hear from you on how you are using Data Dashboard.

Please leave a comment to the discussion describing your application and how you're using Data Dashboard. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Cheers!!

-Grant Heimbach-

LabVIEW and Mobile Marketing Manager

iPad_Screenshot.jpg

Grant H.
National Instruments
LabVIEW Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(14,651 Views)

Re: Anyone using Data Dashboard on a real-world application?

Actually I did use it in one real world application.  It's not as complex as many LabVIEW programs I've written.  Every year at Christmas time our company provides a dinner at one of the local restaurants.  When they do this they pay by the head so it's important to have an accurate head count.  Attendence is not mandatory so some folks just enjoy an afternoon off.  Additionally, they give out door prizes, usually a large number, as well so there's another peice of data there.   In the past they did this by keeping a head count of people and giving out tickets.  This worked ok but with over 250 people in the company and some subset of them arriving in large groups keeping count accurately is problematic.  For the door prizes they have given out the tear and separate tickets but you can't count those because some folks opt not to particiapate.  Also, as people leave after eating their ticket remains in the drawing pool and we have to sort out if they are still there or not delaying things.  Like many drawings you must present to win.  Last fall it occurred to me that I could write an application in LabVIEW that could be used to scan the badges and maintain a list of attendees, track who leaves, and include a simple random draw feature.  I wrote the program in a couple of evenings and decided to use Data Dashboard on my iPad to provide a simple control interface for the HR manager to do the random draw remotely while the main computer stayed near the door logging people in and out.  I even created a second data page that provided a view only screen that folks could download on their phone so people in different rooms of the restaurant could use to view the winners.

The program worked pretty well and we use it at times now to track training attendance for internal classes.

Thanks for letting me share

Wire Warrior

Wire Warrior

Behold the power of LabVIEW as my army of Roomba minions streaks across the floor!
Message 2 of 21
(2,546 Views)

That's awesome! I've been at a few events where that would really help. Did you scan the badges in and out or use something like an RFID active scanner?

Grant H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(2,546 Views)

Hello!

Well, I made a very simple home automation project last year and I used Data Dashboard for controls (in this case LabVIEW was just an intermediate between our model and iPad.

We had boolean and numeric controls, which were sharied variables that controlled a third-party board via serial interface.

Also, we connected weather sensors to that board and I created two pages in the dashboard: one for control and one for acquisition (write and read, actually).

Some controls: light (1/0) light intensity (lux), windows (open/closed), fan (1/0), fan speed (rpm) and some other basic stuff for simple home automation.

This was part of my IT (technical) final project, released past november (while I was in High School).

It envolved not only data dashboard, but a bit of engineering and pcb projects.

Hope this information is useful. As I said, it's a simple project, but we used lots of Data Dashboard functionalities.

Thanks

Mondoni
Message 4 of 21
(2,546 Views)

We used a bar code scanner to scan badges in and out.  We didn't take the time to set up an RFID system.  I've suggested it for the future though.  Come to think of it....the system is very similar to what they use at NI Week.

Wire Warrior

Behold the power of LabVIEW as my army of Roomba minions streaks across the floor!
Message 5 of 21
(2,546 Views)

Although I am not sure if this qualifies as a real-world application, we put together a demo system for the Automotive Testing Expo this year which was a full example of a number of our automation and NVH products and technologies.  It is a small engine dyno system where a dc motor spins an R/C airplane engine.  We use a CRIO to control the test and a PXI to take accelerometer and microphone data.  The primary interface to the test system (the HMI) is an iPad using Data Dashboard.  You can start and stop a test from the iPad, get test results, and put the system into a manual mode to spin the motor.  We continue to use it at trade shows and sales visits.  I can send you a one-pager describing the demo, and would be happy to talk to you more about it.

Rob

Message 6 of 21
(2,546 Views)

We are using Data dashboard for our final year project ,its a prototype of bottle filling Process,so in that we will monitor the fluid level ,bottles Filled,Temperature of the Fluid actually we have to modes of operation Auto and Manual we will be using swiches on Data dashboard to control the Vavle and Pump, All the graphs are also displayed on the 2nd page on Datadashboard , i hope we get more Indicators and control options in the versions ahead of data dashboard. But still its a Great way to control and monitor your Project.

-Shashank Kakrecha (India)

Message 7 of 21
(2,546 Views)

shanky0805,

What control and idicators do you find lacking in the current version of Data Dashboard (you said that you hope that more will be added in the future)?

Grant H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(2,546 Views)

One thing I wanted that wasn't available was button customization.  That would have let me do a better looking interface.

Wire Warrior

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(2,546 Views)

Wire_Warrior,

I assume you mean UI customization similar to what you get in LabVIEW, correct? Out of curiousity, what type of customizations would you be wanting to do?

Grant H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(2,546 Views)