From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signal express counter outputs

I am trying to use the 6251 counters within a sweep function. It appears only one count can be used. Am I correct? If I am able to get both count 0 and count1 in the sweep menu only one shows up with number of samples to select. If I try to run a sweep function with two counters in the loop I get error messages that the second device is not available.

Is this a limitation of SE or the 6251 USB or my understanding of SE?

Please advise,

CEK
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,018 Views)
Hi CEK -

Your answer lies in the NI-DAQmx Help.  The counters on your DAQ device are paired, and certain operations require a pair of counters instead of just one.  When you generate a finite number of samples, the driver must use a pair of counters, so if you select Ctr0 it'll automatically grab Ctr1 along with it.  When you generate one sample or continuous samples, only one counter is needed.

This is a hardware design limitation that can't be overcome, except by installing a second DAQ device or a device with several counters (like the 6602, 6608, or 6624).
David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,007 Views)