SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't SignalExpress communicate with TDS3054B scope?

HELP!
I have a TDS3054B scope with v3.39 firmware installed on it.  I want to communicate with it using SignalExpress but can't!  I can see the instrument in Measurement & Automation Explorer (v4.2.0.3001).  It shows up as GPIB0::1::INSTR.  I have a USB-GPIB cable going from my laptop to the scope.  The laptop is running LabVIEW 8.2.  I have installed the drivers for the scope from NI's website but still can't get it working...
I can communicate with the scope using Tektronix's OpenChoice Desktop software, but that software is limited in what it can do...
Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(9,795 Views)
Hi Dandy_Don,

Which driver did you download?  The LabVIEW Plug&Play drivers would require you to create a custom step in LabVIEW for you to use them in LabVIEW SignalExpress.  On the other hand IVI based drivers can be used in LabVIEW SignalExpress directly through the IVI Acquire step.

As we have both sets of drivers available for this scope could it be possible that you downloaded the LabVIEW Plug&Play driver?  Here is a direct link to the IVI drivers that are better suited for use with LabVIEW SignalExpress:

Tektronix tkds30xx Oscilloscope IVI Driver

Once you have the correct driver, this KB article outlines the steps to get things working (and it conviniently uses the TDS3054B as the example instrument):

IVI Instrument Steps in LabVIEW SignalExpress

Good luck and let us know if you are still have trouble.

Simon H
LabVIEW SignalExpress Product Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(9,792 Views)

Thanks, Simon.  I looked in MAX & can see the driver tkds30xx.  I can select the different tabs at the bottom for configuring the driver, but I'm not sure how to configure it.

When I open SignalExpress & add a step to acquire signals, I can create a new IVI session.  I use TDS3054B as the session name.  Under the Resource Descriptor, I see the scope listed as GPIB0::1::INSTR, same name as in MAX.  But when I try to select an instrument driver, all the drop down list has is a 'check mark'.  It won't let me select it.  If I push OK, it gives me an error when I try to run the step:

"ivi_IviScope Initialize With Options.vi<ERR>
Driver Status:  (Hex 0xBFFA1207) Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA1207) The item does not exist in the collection."

Do I just have the driver configured wrong?  Am I missing something esle?  I tried downloading SignalExpress 2.5, but once it downloaded, I got an error when I tried to run the executable:

"Zip file is damaged, truncated, or has been changed since it was created.  If you downloaded this file, try downloading again."

I tried again, but got the same error!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(9,777 Views)
Hi Dandy_Don,

Thanks for the update. To get a better idea of your problem, would you mind answering a few questions?

1. What version of LabVIEW SignalExpress are you currently using?
2. Can you select the tkds30xx driver if you do not not select GPIB0::1::INSTR as your Resource Descriptor?
3. Does anything happen if you edit the
Resource Descriptor for any current IVI sessions using the tkds30xx driver?
4. Did you download SignalExpress 2.5 from this link?

Let me know how things go.

Regards,
Kent
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(9,742 Views)

Thanks, Kent.  Here's the answer to your questions:

1.  I'm currently using SignalExpress v2.0.0

2.  No.  I can't select any driver in the Create New IVI Session dialog box...  All that there is to choose from is a "check-mark" & I can't even select that!

3.  No.  I can't edit the Resource Descriptor for a current IVI sessions.  When I go to IVI session name & choose
 edit/delete session, the dialog box doesn't show any IVI sessions available!  I choose done & the box closes
 and "tkds30xx is loaded in the IVI session name box, but still get an error:

Error -1074130425 occurred at ivi_IviScope Initialize With Options.vi

Possible reason(s):

Driver Status:  (Hex 0xBFFA1207) Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA1207) The item does not exist in the collection.
Elaboration: tkds30xx

4.  No.  The file I downloaded is labeled "SigExpTek25.exe".  I will download this file & try again...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(9,721 Views)
Hi Dandy_Don,

In Measurement and Automation Explorer under IVI drivers, make sure that the logical name and the driver session are configured correctly. One thing to check is to make sure that the "Simulate with" field in the driver session is set to "Don't Simulate". Also, make sure that the driver session has the correct hardware and software module associated with it. Here is an article which may give you some additional information about these steps. Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Kent
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(9,704 Views)

Thanks again, Kent. 

The article helped some, but I still don't have it working...

In MAX, under the IVI Drivers >> Logical Names, I have the name MyScope.  For the General tab, I have the Driver Session listed as tkds30xx & a Description "TDS3054B oscilloscope".

In MAX, under the IVI Drivers >> Driver Sessions >> tkds30xx >> General tab, I have the following:

Initialization Options enabled: Cache, Range Check, Query Instrument Status;     Simulate With: Don't Simulate;     Driver Setup: tkds30xx;     Description: TDS 3000 Series

In MAX, under the IVI Drivers >> Driver Sessions >> tkds30xx >> Hardware tab, I have the following:

Hardware Assets: Name - TDS3054B (checked); Resource Descriptor - GPIB0::1::INSTR

In MAX, under the IVI Drivers >> Driver Sessions >> tkds30xx >> Software tab, I have the following:

Software Module: <None>;  my only choices are <None> or NIDMM.

In MAX, under the IVI Drivers >> Driver Sessions >> tkds30xx >> Virtual Names tab, I have the following:

Virtual Name: CHANNEL1, CHANNEL2, CHANNEL3, CHANNEL4;     Physical Name: CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4

In MAX, under the IVI Drivers >> Driver Sessions >> tkds30xx >> Initial Settings tab, I have nothing.

In LabVIEW SignalExpress, I go to Add Step >> Acquire Signals >> IVI Acquire >> IVI Scope Acquire.  The Step Setup box is displayed.  On the Configuration tab >> Device section >> IVI session name, I select Create New...  Another dialoge box opens with an IVI session name in it.  I change it to MyScope (same as in MAX), choose the Resource Descriptor GPIB0::1::INSTR (same as in MAX), but can't select an instrument driver.  The only thing available under Instrument driver is a check mark.  I can't select it for some unknown reason.  I hit the OK button & the box closes, returning to the Step Setup screen.  I try to run the step once & get an error stating:

"ivi_IviScope Initialize With Options.vi<ERR>

Driver Status: (Hex 0xBFFA1207) Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA1207) The item does not exist in the collection.

Elaboration: tkds30xx"

Back to square 1...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(9,688 Views)

OK.  I'm getting somewhere...

I downloaded the driver again.  This time, I think I got the right one!  Simon's link to the ni.com site showed 2 download links, one for CVI & one for LabVIEW 7.1.  I downloaded & installed the one for LabVIEW 7.1, then opened SignalExpress.  The Step Setup box had more options this time & things were clicking...

BUT...  when I hit Run or Run Once, I got nothing on the Data View screen.  Soon another error message came up:

"Timeout.

<ERR> Driver Status: (Hex 0xBFFA2003) Max Time exceeded before operation completed."

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(9,685 Views)
Hi Dandy_Don,

It sounds like the driver is now correct. One thing to check is the configuration of the IVI acquire step. Most importantly, check the triggering tab and make sure the trigger is set properly. An easy way to make sure everything is working is the use immediate triggering. Let me know if this changes anything. If not, please provide the configuration for your IVI acquire step. Thanks.

Kent
Message 9 of 11
(9,662 Views)

OK.  I got SignalExpress working... sort of!

I can talk to the scope & see it recording live data from a signal generator connected to Ch1.  Adjusting the controls on the signal generator shows a change in the Data View on SignalExpress.  That part works, but only  when I push Autosetup in SignalExpress.  The scope chatters, then I see a waveform on the scope that matches the waveform in the Data View of SignalExpress.  If I try running the step w/out pushing Autosetup, I get a timeout error:

"Timeout.

<ERR>Driver Status:  (Hex 0xBFFA2003) Max Time exceeded before operation completed."

When I make changes to the Configuration tab of the Step Setup box, SE comes back with the same error...

That's as far as I can get.  Any other changes give me the same error...

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(9,605 Views)