From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displacement Sensor with 9215 SE2012

Using Micro-Epsilon WDS-500-P60-SR-U. This is an analog displacement sensor (potentiometer) with NI 9215 (terminal type) module hooked to  cDAQ-9172 8 port chassis. 

I set up a voltage analog input but I cannot read an input signal, adjust sensitivity for calibration, etc. I'm using Signal Express 2012.  I've used 9234's with Endevco accelerometers and SE2012 without issues. Never tried this sensor. Any help for a novice would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,718 Views)

How are you providing supply voltage?

When I work with string pots I provide 10Vex from an external excitation-grade power supply.
I then set the sensor up in SigEx as Custom Voltage w/ Excitation, and give it a slope for its scaling.

SCXI- 1000 Chassis w/ 1346 adapter
PCI 6281 DAQ card
SCXI- 1520 Bridge Board w/ 1314 Terminal Block (x2)
SCXI- 1180 Feedthrough Panel w/ 1302 Block
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,614 Views)

I'm using an external power supply.  I don't believe I need the custom voltage with excitation step - but you can correct me if I'm wrong.  The next problem I'm seeing is this: I have 4 9234 modules with 12 channels of accelerometers, and 1 9215 with 4 channels of displacement sensors.  I'm triggering off of one of the accelerometers, but I when I save the data, the accels and the displacement data times are offset and they don't seem to be writing from the same relative time.  I.E. I hit the accelerometer and trigger the start of recording then I pull the string on the disp sensor.  When I look at the saved data, I get the proper accel data but I either get the return slope of the disp sensor or I miss it all together.  I'm taking 100k samples at 50kHz, for a total of two seconds.  I think the time of the displacement sensors have to be off.  SE will not let me sub-group across voltage/accel input channels, so I don't see a way around this.  Any help would be great.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,574 Views)