SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Re-sampling of a Larger Recording

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello, I am new to LabVIEW, but through use and practice I have recently become relatively familiar with the program and its capabilities. I am however curious to know whether there is a way on LabVIEW: Signal Express to automatically sample and analyze 3 second segments (in a chronological order), of a much larger 20 minute recording and then export all these 3 second segments for further analysis (onto excel for example). Please let me know if there is some way to do this with LabVIEW: Signal Express or if you have any suggestions of a resource I may have not considered at National Instruments that could help. Many thanks, GYepes
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,159 Views)

Hello GYepes,

Yes what you are asking for is possible with Signal Express. I do have some questions first though:

Will the 3 second segments be one after the other?

If so, why not record the full 20 minutes and then chop the signal up into the segments you want?

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,131 Views)

Hi Collin,

Yes the 3 seconds will be one after the other. I was hoping that the chopping of my recording might be done as aquisition is occuring. If this is not feasable with Signal Express, I suppose that the question now becomes: with Signal Express how do I chop my 20 min recordings into the segments I want?

Thank you,

GYepes

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,109 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GYepes

Hello GYepes,

Yes this should be possible. If you open up Signal Express, create a new project, and navigate to the Recording Options tab on the main display, you should be able to go to Start Conditions and use this to trigger the start for every 3 seconds. You can do this with the Start date time by adding 3 different Start date times 3 seconds apart from each other (not sure how accurate this would be). There is another way using Stop Conditions where you can set the duration to 3 seconds after start. It is also possible to do this using Signal Triggers from another device. Are you using any data acquisition devices? If so, you can use one to send a start/stop trigger to signal the start or stop of your recording. By placing the triggers 3 seconds apart, you can accomplish what you are trying to do using Events under Recording Options. Any of these methods should work for what you are trying to do and, if not, you can easily export the whole recording to Excel and then chop it up manually which shouldn't be too difficult.

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
Message 4 of 8
(6,085 Views)

Hi Collin,

I tried your second suggestion, and it work really well. Thank you! Just a quick add on question: once I have all of my 3 second logs, how can I export all the logs at once directly into excel?

Thank you for all your help!

Regards,

GYepes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,078 Views)

Hi GYepes,

If all of your recordings are appearing in the same log or you can see all three in the display view, you should be able to either, from display view, click the Export To >> Microsoft Excel, or go to File >> Export >> Channel View to Excel. If all your recordings are part of the same log, they will appear as three separate pages in Excel, if they are not then you will unfortunately have to export all of them individually. If you are looking for a custom report to be generated from your recording than if you have LabVIEW, I can guide you through how we can make a custom report.

Thanks!

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,062 Views)

Hi Collin,

Unfortunately I do not have LabVIEW. I suppose I will have to make due with your recomendations.

Thank you for your time and help.

Regards,

GYepes

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,041 Views)

Hi Collin,

As a final bit of curiosity, do you know whether it is possible in Signal Express to edit recordings (such as cutting and pasting parts of recording in and out)? My interest would be in "Cutting out" large artifacts that are not processed out by filters.

Thank you,

GYepes

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,036 Views)