Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

driver hp-4142b

I et some work to do on a hp 4142b. Some one has a library for this device ??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(10,279 Views)
Unfortunately I was unable to find a driver for this instrument at http://ni.com/idnet. This leaves you with one of a couple options. It may be possible to modify an existing driver to work with this instrument. Otherwise, http://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/other.htm states a few options to obtaining a driver. Drivers are developed based on demand and popularity so the more requests, the greater the possibility that one will be developed. Also, NI only writes drivers for standalone instruments in the eight IVI classes(DMMs, Scopes, Function Generators, Switches, Power Supplies, Power Meters, RF Signal Generators, and Spectral analyzers) that communicate via GPIB, Serial, or TCP/IP. It would also be beneficial to notify the instrument manufacturer, they often have
drivers for multiple programming languages.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(10,279 Views)
Ok thank for your advices. Actually, I try to control the 4142b from a labview interface with GPIB.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(10,279 Views)

Hi,

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me the drivers for HP 4142b.

Thank you,

PK

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(9,121 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(9,108 Views)

Hi,

Can anyone atleast help me explain the steps to modify drivers of age5270a to HP 4142b.

Any help will be appreicated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(9,086 Views)

All I can do is to provide some generic process where you analyze the instrument commands in the one driver versus the instrument commands in the manual for the other instrument. Change as needed. You should really have a good understanding of the instrument functions before modifying any code. You should also have a basic understanding of an instrument driver itself. Information on that can be found here though the driver you are using as a template is old and not written to any current standard. It might be just as simple to start from scratch. Drivers are not really that hard to write.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(9,082 Views)

Thank you for your reply, Dennis.

I have some more questions. How, if its possible, one can transfer the known SMU connections to the labview program? and also if one knows the commands, for performing tasks for the particular instrument, then is there any standard procedure to transfer them to the LabVIEW environment?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(9,080 Views)

I mean if I understand the all the connection and how the instrument works, can I transfer the same info as it is using LabVIEW tools?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(9,077 Views)

Don't know what you mean by connections. If you mean setting up an instrument manually and creating the commands to recreate that setup, then that is instrument dependent and if you are familiar with the instrument manual, you would know whether such a feature exists or not.

Yes, there are standard procedures for using commands in LabVIEW. As already mentioned, you can create a driver per the linked instructions above, use the Instrument I/O Assistant, or just use VISA Wrtes and VISA Reads for just the commands you need. Have you gone through the fundamentals tutorial?

Message 10 of 17
(9,076 Views)