Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to read the TTL signal from C++/Builder medium?

I have a PCI-GPIB card and use C++/Builder to control it. However, one of the devices I use does not a GPIB port and has only TTL BNC output. What hardware do I need to read the TTL signal and feed it to my program?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,954 Views)
Hello Sergei,

It sounds like the instrument that you are using has only one TTL output that uses a BNC connector. I will work with that, so please write back if that is not correct.

Depending on the protocol of the signal the instrument uses, you may need different hardware. On this page: Digital I/O Applications that I use at http:www.ni.com/support, there are descriptions of the different types of digital communications that you might use.

If you can compare the specifications of your instrument to the descriptions on this page, then we could get a very good idea of what hardware you will need. You can use our digital i/o product selection guide to help you pick a board to match your requirements.

After looking at that, you might consider the following PCI boards that I picked out:

My best guess is that the communication from your instrument will be static (or unstrobed) i/o since there is only one digital line. A good card for this is the PCI-6503. This is the basic board that can do your unstrobed i/o.

Finally, for whatever board you choose, the connections can be made using a variety of equipment that NI produces. After you have picked the board that you need, you can use the Digital Input/Output Cables and Accessories page to find the right cables and equipment. A good option for BNC connections is the CA-1000 which offers configurable connectivity to digital i/o boards including BNC connectors.

The more definitive word in product reccomendations comes from our very knowledgeable sales department since products and product lines can change.

The short list for unstrobed digital i/o as I suggested it would be:
PCI-6503 digital i/o board
SH50-50 or NB1 cable (shielded vs. unshielded)
CA-1000 connection enclosure
1 BNC panelette for the CA-1000
8 Blank filler panelettes for the CA-1000

If something here doesn't match what you are looking for, please feel free to write back or to give our sales department a call. In the end, they will give the best final recommendation.

Regards,
John N.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(6,954 Views)