Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-5413-finite number of pulses-question

Hello all, 

I have a question regarding PXIe-5413 card (with one output).

I have looked on the drivers and examples from library but I do not understand if it is possible to output a finite number o pulses for example, triggered by software.

I do not see in the drivers "Burst" or Pulse function.

For example I want to output 3 square pulses with 2 second delay between them when I use software trigger( activated by a button on front panel).

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,711 Views)

Aflorin,

That would likely be achievable with arbitrary waveform mode.

What is the pulse width (e.g. in milliseconds) you are looking for?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,656 Views)

Hello Balexand, 

In the past I have worked with Keysight and Agilent. With this external instruments, I have found special functions in their drivers that let me to generate pulses with settable time and number without need to use arbitrary waveform mode.

With this pxie-5413 I see is not possible to choose this settings. 

I am not aiming to a precise with and number of pulses, and I want to let the user to choose.

I am asking this, maybe is something that I have not seen in the drivers.

I do not want to use arbitrary waveform mode in my setup because things will be more complicated for the final user.

Also I have attached 2 pictures from Keysight driver to be more clear about this setup. Also I use delacor tool(with classes) and I want to create a setup user friendly and I must integrate this pxie board and the child functions to be similar with Keysight and Agilent external instruments. If I use arbitrary waveform I do not think I will manage to have same setups for all the instruments.

Thanks for fast replay!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,645 Views)

The NI-FGEN driver API doesn't expose those generation modes directly.  What I was suggesting is that such a programming interface could likely be implemented as a software layer on top of NI-FGEN.  Then you could have the simple Pulse or Burst interface that you need, and the fact that it uses arbitrary waveform mode under-the-hood is just an implementation detail.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,618 Views)

Hello Balexand, 

I understand and you are right. Do you have any example with arbitrary waveform mode?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,569 Views)